AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I need one if there is such a thing.

I have split the rf output from my replaytv 4084 and sent it to a small tv in my Florida room, and one to my office. I can control the replaytv unit just fine using Replay Control Central, it is even faster than using the ir remote in the living room.

I only have one rf input on my tv, and I have twc hooked to it, this is my regular source for television when someone else is using the replaytv unit in the living room.

I have the 75ohm cable from the replay unit run to an old vcr, and then I am using the rca outs from the vcr to the tv line 1 rca input (the vcr does not have a S-Video jack). With this config I have to keep the vcr on and tuned to channel 3, This vcr has a crappy tuner, and the fox station here is on channel 3 so i get some distortion.

I want to have the true replaytv output. Is there a device for this sans the vcr setup I have?

I saw RS had a rf modulator on display for people with dvd players that don't have a tv with RCA ins. But this does the opposite of what I need.

Any ideas?

Thanx

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Sounds like all you need is an RF tuner? You might be able to find an analog cable box to do that, but the low-tech "old VCR" does it just about as good as anything. Keep in mind the channel 3 RF audio output is always mono so I don't think you'll find anything that will do much better than a half-decent VCR... giving composite video and audio from your channel 3 RF from the Replay.

Higher end modulators seem like overkill for just that one TV, but they could do a decent job of sticking the base-band Replay output on some other channel and injecting it back into the TV's cable feed, even with stereo audio if you are willing to spend something.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Let me make sure I follow you correctly. Are you saying that your office TV has A/V inputs (currently connected to your VCR), and you want the ReplayTV signal to come into those, without using the VCR? (If that's not the situation, the first order of business is to buy a new TV--a 19" model with front and rear AV inputs sells for around $130 at Best Buy.)

You didn't say how far away your office TV is from your ReplayTV.

In any case, you shouldn't necessarily be thinking in terms of a "modulator" or a "demodulator" (your VCR is already a demodulator--why buy another one?) but rather any means of getting the signal from one place to the other. When you use the ReplayTV's RF output, you lose stereo sound as well as take a hit in video quality. You should think about using the ReplayTV's A/V outputs instead.

If it's a very short run (in the next room), you can just use normal A/V cables to connect the ReplayTV to the TV.

If it's a bit longer (a few rooms away), you'll probably be successful installing jacks in each room, running three RG6 coaxial cables to send the signal (one each for video, audio left, and audio right) with F to RCA adapters on the wall plates (these sell for under $1.00 each ). You'd then run short, normal A/V cables from those jacks to your regular A/V inputs on the TV and the A/V outputs on the ReplayTV. RG6 cables have better shielding than normal A/V cables, and are very inexpensive.

If the distance is farther, or if you would like to avoid cables, you may wish to consider a simple wireless A/V transmitter/receiver system, for about $100, such as this one .

Jim

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The small tv in the office is a flat screen toshiba, it is a nice set and has s-video, 2 rca video, and composite video in (the tv interface calls this 'color stream'). The run from room to room is about 50 feet. I already have a 50 foot rf cable run in, and Ethernet run out (the router is in the office).

My first thought was to run rca cable, but I don't think I have ever seen 50 footers.

The wireless option may work. I will look into it some more.

RS had a remote control a/b switch, but I don't want another remote, and I would like to get a the replays stereo signal.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MinnesotaJim
...If it's a bit longer (a few rooms away), you'll probably be successful installing jacks in each room, running three RG6 coaxial cables to send the signal (one each for video, audio left, and audio right) with F to RCA adapters on the wall plates (these sell for under $1.00 each ). You'd then run short, normal A/V cables from those jacks to your regular A/V inputs on the TV and the A/V outputs on the ReplayTV. RG6 cables have better shielding than normal A/V cables, and are very inexpensive.
Actually composite video looks pretty nasty (even over RG6) once you exceed 25 feet. However if you run a pair of RG6 (for video) S-video looks quite good even to 100 feet, much better that any of those A/V transmitter/receiver devices I've tried.

The $50 S-video transformer baluns look decent over cat5 as well.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
But then you'd need the S-video out from the Replay but there's only one and its already in use?

The A/V transmitter/receiver devices might be the simplest in this case and you can certainly get one that will give you stereo.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
A demodulator is called a "tuner". Any cheap VCR has one. IF you want to simply split the signal to two TV's, get a "splitter". They start about $3 at many grocery stores, Target-style stores, home centers, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.