AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, kindly remember this section is DVD and LD Hardware. I have an old Pioneer CLD-M90 laserdisc player hooked up to my new Onkyo TX-DS898 receiver that works well with my LD collection. I just acquired a near-new Pioneer CLD-D505 player which adds two-sided play and DD5.1 sound. But, all DD5.1 on LD's are analog AC-3 RF Out, which the player has. The new receiver though has no AC-3 RF In, like some older ones do.

Does anyone know where to buy a AC-3 RF demodulator? This converts L/R audio and the AC-3 RF Out to coaxial digital and/or an optical digital input. Two years ago Yamaha had for $100.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi,

You can probably pick one up on e-bay. There isn't much difference between these units in terms of performance so look for a Pioneer, Sony or Kenwood model. Since these things are in some demand (as less receivers have ac-3 inputs) prices on e-bay can sometimes be quite high.

Brian.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think Sony still make a Modulator. Not sure about the US but it's availlable in the uk for GBP100, so I imagine a lot cheaper in comparative dollars due to your greater market forces and the fact that LD was massive over there compared to the UK.

Nick

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mrwilson
I bought one new from Sony Parts last year for about $120. Try them.
Thanks for the reply, I went to Sony's online store to buy the MOD-RF1, and when I clicked "add to cart" it told me "This item is no longer available". Do you have any other leads? Thanks again

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi,

Nick makes a fair point....you might be able to source a Sony (and possibly a Pioneer) unit from old stock in a dealers. Most units have optical and coaxial digital outputs so you can make a connection to your amp. Since most a/v amps seem to have more optical inputs than coaxial ones then it's probable that you'll have to use a optical connection anyway. I tend to keep my coaxial digital connections for my primary audio sources.

Brian.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Bull
I think Sony still make a Modulator. Not sure about the US but it's availlable in the uk for GBP100, so I imagine a lot cheaper in comparative dollars due to your greater market forces and the fact that LD was massive over there compared to the UK.

Nick
Thanks Nick - do you have any idea of where I can get one? I found one in Australia, but not UK, yet. Any help here is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi again,

There are two Yamaha units on e-bay right now. They are OK..... I think they might be a bit 'big' (possibly sized to match other Yamaha kit) compared to those from other manufacturers but this shouldn't be a problem.

Try videotech (or videoteck?).co.uk but you probably wouldn't want to pay $140 + shipping.

Brian

·
Registered
16 Posts
I saw it mentioned in a UK magazine. But I'm at work at the moment so I don't have details.

I'll look for it and try posting either this weekend, or more likely monday as I have a lot on this weekend.

Good luck in the meantime.

Nick

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have a spare Pioneer RFD-1 RF demodulator that I bought in case my main one went out. Would you be interested in buying mine? They were selling for BUCKS on eBay, so I would kind of like to get *some* of my money back.

Send me a private message if you are interested and we can start negotiating.... :) I'm already getting messages about this unit, so let me know sooner than later if you want it.... I'll probably sell it to the person who makes the best offer.... :)

Peace.....

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by avguygeorge
Don't forget,the cable needs to be a video composite type. A regular digital coax such as the D60 won't work. Geo
Huh?? An AC-3 RF connector uses an 75 ohm RCA connector. Digital cables are rebadged 75 ohm composite video cables in most circumstances. I've had a CLD704, Elite CLD-79 and now a Elite CLD-99 and never had a problem with a digital cable. I'd use a video cable cause it's just cheaper, but a digital cable will work.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wireless
I've had a CLD704, Elite CLD-79 and now a Elite CLD-99 and never had a problem with a digital cable.
Me too.... Right now, I have a Pioneer DVL-919 connected to my RFD-1 using a coax digital cable and I have coax running from the RFD-1 to my Pioneer Elite VSX-24TX receiver and I enjoy AC-3 5.1 and dts 5.1 audio from LD just fine.....

Peace.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a Yamaha APD-1 demod up for sale right now over at HTF. It has less than 5 hours on the unit and is in mint condition. 140$ plus shipping if your interested.

Sean

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Sony is no longer selling demodulators. I ordered one of their website about two months ago, got an email the next day saying they were on back order, then got a letter in the mail a few weeks later saying they had cancelled my order. They were out of stock and were no longer being produced. I just purchased a brand new Yamaha APD-1 off ebay for $125. They are up for sale there all the time.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I bought one like 2 years ago on uBid Auctions for dirt cheap. I'm still using a 5 year old AV reciever that has AC-3RF but I just bought it because I fear not being able to get it with new recievers. It was a Nakamichi DE-1. I remember seeing them last year as well. I havent seen one recently listed, but not like I've been looking...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To Brian Dickie and all others:

Thanks for your help, all of you. After Brian's first post, I checked it out on eBay. I used a "Buy It Now" on a Yamaha APD-1 for $129 and it includes shipping and insurance all the way from Australia. With my left arm in a sling for the next two weeks due to shoulder surgery on 9 May, I had time to try to find a demodulator, but I will not be able to install it for two weeks or so anyway. FYI, I am using Dragon Naturally Speaking to type this anyway.

This forum and you, the members of the forum, rock! I hope to contribute as much knowledge about such things I know of, as I can, like all of you. This is the most cooperative "neighborhood" I have ever experienced. Long live AV forum, and all others like it!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Don't buy try and buy it from the web site. CALL Sony Parts and order it. The web site has been 'out' for over a year now but I've had good luck getting them from their Parts department.

FYI, the Sony MOD-RF1 has AC3-RF in and Coax AND toslink digital out.

Video is 75ohms but I thought coax digital was 110ohms? I swear I read that somewhere.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Mr. Wilson,

As I stated in my post above, I ordered the demod from Sony two months ago. Even though the website said they were out, it did take the order. After a month I received a letter in the mail from Sony which states "the part that you have requested is no longer being manufactured and there is no stock available" and they cancelled my order. There was another guy on the HTF who got the same letter. So, sony is no longer a source for demods.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.