Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Looking for additional help on this hook-up. I am setting up HT for my sons wedding present. I am providing five speakers, sub, and receiver. My daughter's present is DVD/VCR combo. Problem- older TV, set with only coax F-pin hookup. Can use Shacks (150-1244) video RF Modulator but that will combine audio to a mono output. Is there any way short of a new TV also, to send video only and utilize receivers 5.1 capabilities for audio. Thanks for any suggestions.

John

·
Registered
511 Posts
You could just connect the video, but not the audio, to the modulator. This will keep the TV silent.

Then hook the digital output of your DVD player (either coax or optical) directly to your receiver. This will give you 5.1 audio.

Regards

BB

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
B.B.

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was considering after looking at diagram of Video RF Modulator. I am not sure which combo unit my daughter bought, but I told her either JVC's or the Panasonic. After viewing the back panel of both units on Crutchfields website I see that both have a RF in and out (tuner) that they say you could use if TV lacked inputs.

I would still want to use the RF Modulator, correct and then hook up as you suggested with video only. He has cable direct no box, so was wondering then on source hookup to the receiver. VCR, DVD,, and cable.

The video would always be the same, and you would be changing source for DVD only to get the 5.1 sound. Thanks for the assistance and have a nice weekend.

John

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I don't see why you would need to purchase that modulator.

Take the incomming cable line and connect to the input side of the dvd/vcr Coax, take the DVD/vcr coax output and connect to the TV. Now your TV is equipped for audio and video from the DVD/VCR, (but not stereo).

NOW, take the optical or coax digital output and connect to the new dolby digital receiver that your purchased. You should also take the composite (red/white) audio outputs of the dvd/vcr and send that to the vcr input of the new receiver. Now you can get video and mono audio to the tv and also dolby digital dvd sound from the DD receiver, and the Stereo VCR sound from the receiver.

The only thing I see suffering is the picture quality from the coax connection to the TV. It will still be better than the cable though.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.Heff
B.B.

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was considering after looking at diagram of Video RF Modulator. I am not sure which combo unit my daughter bought, but I told her either JVC's or the Panasonic. After viewing the back panel of both units on Crutchfields website I see that both have a RF in and out (tuner) that they say you could use if TV lacked inputs.

I would still want to use the RF Modulator, correct and then hook up as you suggested with video only. He has cable direct no box, so was wondering then on source hookup to the receiver. VCR, DVD,, and cable.

The video would always be the same, and you would be changing source for DVD only to get the 5.1 sound. Thanks for the assistance and have a nice weekend.

John

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
In addition you can now get the stereo sound (if any) from your cable company if you slelect VCR on the new receiver and use the new vcr as the cable tuner.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cmcjo:

Thanks for the reply. After veiwing the back panel of combo unit I thought that would work, but wanted to be sure. I know the video will suffer till a new set can be purchased. Does the DD sound from DVD overide the combined signal from RF running to TV? Thanks.

John

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
It really depends,

My Sony DVD changer will send Dolby DIgital Optical and coax and Composite at the same time, I'm just not sure if it will also send the COax RF at the same time, I suspect it will.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.