AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched for a very long time for a eperiance fan dimmer. I only need one, it really doesn't seem like a complicated problem, but apparently it is. I am new to home automation, so I know very little about this. I would like dimmer that would replace the current dimmer I have, but is RF. I would also like a way I could use my infrared 880 to control it, so an infrared to RF converter would also be needed.

I have seen infrared to RF converters for z-wave, however I can find no dimmers that support fans, just lights. The dimmer I had before my current one was not designed for fans, and made a loud hum whenever the fan was in use.

For a dimmer to work with a fan, is there something special about the circuitry, or is it just a dimmer designed for a greater electrical load?

Thank you for your time and patience, I am new to home automation, and wold love advice from people with more knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
You would be better to run a powerline technology dimmer and then an IR to powerline.

If you are thinking about PC based automation, this is simple. Just some standard hardware parts and some off the shelf software to load and configure. And the basis of your rest of automation.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Martin over at AutomatedOutlet who knows *much* more than I told me that you cannot (should not?) run a dimmer to a motor to alter it's speed b/c it's more likely to burn it out.

Yet another thread in which i've quickly exhausted my knowledge. But, as I was searching for the same holy grail and was baffled why I couldn't find anyone who'd advertise a fan dimmer, it's the answer I was given.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You can't use a standard dimming switch on a fan because the dimming of a bulb is done by rapidly turning the light on and off.

From my understanding, doing this to a motor is bad juju and can cause the motor to burn out quickly. This is also the why you have to buy special dimmable CFLs because the baffle on regular CFLs can't handle rapid power on/off.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I believe that Leviton is planning on rolling out a z-wave fan dimmer in their Vizia line.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lutron has their non-system maestro fan control. I would hope sooner or later it will cross populate into Ra and HomeWorks RF, just like a lot of their other lines do.

Also, Miro by wattstopper has a controllable fan switch but not sure how well it works. I just picked up the line to fill the gap between RadioRa and people who request x-10

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I just purchased a Hampton Bay ceiling fan/light and I would love to be able to control it from a Harmony 890. The fan came with a remote and receiver. It has fan speed high/med/low and light on/off. Does anyone know if there has been any Z wave wireless fan control kits put out?

·
Registered
639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha /forum/post/0

Lutron has their non-system maestro fan control. I would hope sooner or later it will cross populate into Ra and HomeWorks RF, just like a lot of their other lines do.

Also, Miro by wattstopper has a controllable fan switch but not sure how well it works. I just picked up the line to fill the gap between RadioRa and people who request x-10

I have a Lutron HomeServe (RF) system in my house and I am hoping that some day Lutron will produce a HomeServe device to control a ceiling fan....

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Micah said:

You can't use a standard dimming switch on a fan because the dimming of a bulb is done by rapidly turning the light on and off.

That's almost right, Micah.

Non-inductive load "dimmers" work by clipping or "chopping off" the top of the AC power wave-form. So instead of a nice round "hill" on top of the sine wave, you get a flat-topped hill that looks just like they are about to build another WallOfChina-Mart!

Inductive loads don't play well with clipped wave forms. What you need for an inductive load like a fan is an attenuator, not a dimmer.

More info than you'd like on motors...

·
Banned
2,646 Posts

Quote:
Non-inductive load "dimmers" work by clipping or "chopping off" the top of the AC power wave-form.

No, they don't. They chop the waveform up, by switching the triac on at some point after the zero crossing, then allowing the triac to switch off, when the load current drops to zero, at the zero crossing. The top of the waveform remains intact.

Quote:
you have to buy special dimmable CFLs because the baffle on regular CFLs can't handle rapid power on/off.

It's called a ballast.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV /forum/post/9883739

I just purchased a Hampton Bay ceiling fan/light and I would love to be able to control it from a Harmony 890. The fan came with a remote and receiver. It has fan speed high/med/low and light on/off. Does anyone know if there has been any Z wave wireless fan control kits put out?

Is this possible? I am experiencing this now. I cannot seem to figure out a way to get the Harmony 890 to work with this fan.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Well is has to be a "Z-Wave" fan controller which at this point does not exist. As I posted the guy told me it was in the works but I have yet to see one surface. If anyone finds one, let me know and I will purchase it.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha /forum/post/9558403

Homeworks Wireless RF Fan control releases 2/22/08.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.