AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Is there such a remote or gadget that will allow me to send RF remote signals to the devices over the network?

My goal is to be able to control 2 cable boxes remotely(power off, power on, channel up, channel down, volume)

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Yes. Any one of the smartphone/tablet solutions do this. In this case RF=WiFi. If you don't need to control them by IP then you can use many more devices to go RF to IR or WiFi/IP to IR.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

How does it actually work? The current remote I use is UHF RF remote. How would tablet/smartphone communicate with the boxes?

·
Registered
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koleso  /t/1504035/rf-ip-remote-control-is-it-possible#post_24040523

How does it actually work? The current remote I use is UHF RF remote. How would tablet/smartphone communicate with the boxes?
Smart phones and tablets can only communicate through wifi, Bluetooth, or cellular, neither of which your satellite box understands. However, your smart phone or tablet *can* communicate with your router and there are some devices that can connect to your router that can translate the data that you send to it from a smart phone or tablet. A typical device would be a Global Cache iTach or GC. The iTach unit would now be the component sending signals to your devices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts