AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a few stability issues with my WinXP HTPC lately (Tualatin 1ghz celeron/TUSL2). When I take the computer upstairs to diagnose the problem I cannot replicate them. The only differences downstairs are this:

1. Computer is plugged into a different outlet

2. Computer is using a RF keyboard/mouse instead of a wired one.

3. Comuter is connected to receiver via SPDIF.

4. Computer is not plugged into network.

The keyboard is a BTC 5090 and I did not load any of the software that came with it.

So when I take it back downstairs I'll try a regular keyboard and mouse and if it still crashes I'll run an extension cord and try again. Basically I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had a Keyboard or mouse cause their system to be unstable.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
DRS,

I have had stability problems with the Microsoft Mouse & Keyboard add ons (the later only useful to disable the caps lock). Pulling them out and just using standard drivers seemed to help. Recently added a logitech optical cordless mouse, again avoiding add ons & utility software. Works great.

Given that you did not load special software, I don't know what would be causing the instability.

Tim

·
Registered
289 Posts
DRS,

I recently went through weeks of lock-ups and freezing with my HTPC, only to find that the troubles stopped when I removed my USB Logitech cordless keyboard and optical mouse. A search of my username will show what I went through and all the *other* things I looked at before I tried the keyboard/mouse. I'm not sure whether my issue related to the USB connection or the cordlessness (is that a word? you get the point... :) ), though.

Ross

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've had some trouble with the Intel Wireless Series (what garbage!). It was easily remedied by updating the Windows driver with the basic HID drivers (for USB peripherals). You lose access to the device-specific function keys, typically, but I'm pretty sure just about all USB keyboards and mice can function off the standard driver. Just because you didn't use the installation disk doesn't necessarily mean that you used standard Windows drivers.

I'm still having trouble with Gyrotools for the Gyroremote causing visualisations to crash my system if I'm running eJukebox. Unfortunately, the standard mouse drivers don't let me use the special function keys on the remote, which really sucks. I'm about to try to fix this using a hacksaw, a mallet and a chisel. Wish me luck, everybody!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
One thing I've noticed about my keyboard (a Versapoint RF) is that its response to interference seems to be to interpret it as a mouse button click. I relocated my base, and that problem went away. I could imagine sporadic clicking on the wrong things causing strageness, but I've never had any stability problems once the keyboard was installed.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Has anyone with a Logitec wireless keyboard noticed an "invalid instruction by Kernel.exe" dialog box when they alt-tab between tasks? I'm on Win98 and am not sure if it's the mouseware or the display driver that's freaking.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like it's the KB & mouse combo! What's really strange is that it is application specific. If I use Power DVD it will basically never crash with the KB&M. When I use ZoomPlayer there are frequent crashes with that particular KB&M. This BTC KB has multimedia keys at the top for controlling PowerDVD functions like stop/play/FF etc I'm wondering if that doesn't have something to do with it because they have no affect in ZP....

edit: Not so fast -- just had a ZP crash using the wired KB/Mouse. I'm holding off more testing until I get my new soundcard. The c-media drivers are a little flakey; sometimes they will give DD at the DVD menus sometimes not etc.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Some RF keyboards and mice are prone to interference from cordless phones, baby monitors, etc. This is expecially true if they use the same frequency ranges to communicate.

Do you have a cordless phone too?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes we have 2 cordless phones but they are rarely in use when we are watching movies. The phone downstairs is corded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.