AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing all new wiring in my house I want to control my lights in the living room via RF remote. what is a good switch with dimmer? and do i need to run cat6 to my light switch location?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
You'll need to consider neutrals in every switch box, what control system/remote, and what other switches/dimmers you may eventually want to control.

I suggest you speak with a custom AV company, or put the time in to figure it out. Many lighting DIYers at cocoontech.com forums.

UPB from SimplyAutomated or WebMountain might be a good DIY option. Z-Wave should be considered.

There is not an easy answer.

Most of your DIY lighting automation choices do not use a category cable to each dimmer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
URC (Universal Remote Control) has paired up with Lutron to develop their own RF dimmers that are paired with any of their RF remotes. They have a large selection of remotes and price points. I also suggest searching for a local authorized dealer.

Doug Harbert

Harbert Home Systems

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwharbert /forum/post/20852252

URC (Universal Remote Control) has paired up with Lutron to develop their own RF dimmers that are paired with any of their RF remotes. They have a large selection of remotes and price points.

+1

But if you think you might want to control additional lights, look into Lutron Radio RA2. They have IR keypads that will be able to control lights all over your house.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2315 /forum/post/20851630

and do i need to run cat6 to my light switch location?

Not necessary. Most remote switches are controlled by a remote controller talking to each other via the house's electrical wires.

Love the Lutron Maestro series. Very attractive modern looking, all software programmable. More expensive than your run-of-the-mill X10s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.