AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem. When I try to route RF to another room, it causes video noise (probably a ground loop) in the main room.

I got a 4-way RF modulator. I split the cable, sending one of the feeds to the modulator. I also take svideo and audio from my receiver/video switcher and send it to the modulator.

This used to work fine until I got a projector last week. Now this setup causes a video ground loop through the projector. If I remove the RF modulator and just send the cable to the other room, it eliminates the ground loop. But of course this means I can't watch DVDs or either of my DVRs in the other room.

I had a bigger ground loop problem but I solved it. I added a Monster power bar and I run the cable into it, then I split the cable after the power bar and everything's cool as long as I don't add the RF modulator back into the mix. (I always thought these kinds of power bars that claim to "clean" the power and cable signal were a bunch of hooey. Now I have living proof that they server a valid purpose!)

So my question is, what can I do to be able to put my RF modulator back in the mix? Would a different modulator work better? Is there some sort of isolation I should be doing, that I'm not?

Feel free to ask for more information if it will help. I'm really stumped here.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci
Have you tried running the RF signal through a grounding block that has been earth grounded?
Honestly, no. I've heard the terms before, but I really don't know how to do it. I assume I can get a "grounding block" or whatever at a store like Radio Shack. But I don't know how to make it "earth grounded".

I know this makes me sound like an idiot, however, if the shoe fits...

-Dan

·
Registered
181 Posts
call your cable company and have them ensure that their cables are grounded. They should be responsible for the earth ground at the point where the wires enter your house

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
I used a piece of ground wire to connect my grounding block to the same ground that my water pipes are connected to. By doing that, I eliminated a low-frequency hum that I was hearing on my audio channels sometimes.
Thanks!

Quote:
Call your cable company and have them ensure that their cables are grounded. They should be responsible for the earth ground at the point where the wires enter your house
That's a good idea. I don't believe the cable is grounded at all, unless it's grounded outside. I'll give them a call.

-Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.