AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Radio Shack RF modulator (15-1244). This setup below (1 and 2) does not work together. Should it ?

(1) DISH 6000 composite out ===> RF modulator composite in ===> RF modulator coax out ===> to TV in bedroom (works fine)

(2)Sony A2 Directv SAT coax out ====> RF modulator ANT coax in ====> same coax to bedroom

When the DISH 6000 SD composite feed is off should I be able to receive the Directv output in the bedroom ? Is the modulator defective ?

thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm not quite clear about the Sony coax out going into the modulator ANT coax in. Is this a pass through? Most modulators take in composite or S-video and don't have an RF input. Can you clarify?

Al Keown

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've looked at the web site description of this thing and dredged my memory of using one ten years ago and as far as I can tell, it's not made to handle any RF input. It take an audio and a video composite and creates a dedicated channel 3/4 output.

What's the purpose of your hookup of two different sat receivers? Checking up on the kids?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Here is an excerpt from the RF manual. I guess what I want can't be done.

thanks

If your TV is already connected to another VHF input source (such as

cable, an antenna, or a VCR, for example), disconnect the VHF input

source's 75-Ohm cable from the TV's 75-Ohm VHF/UHF terminal, and

reconnect it to the RF Modulator's ANT IN terminal. Then connect a

75-Ohm coaxial cable between the TO TV terminal on the RF Modulator

and the 75-Ohm VHF/UHF terminal on your TV.

If your TV is not already connected to another VHF source, connect a

75-Ohm coaxial cable between the TO TV terminal on the RF Modulator

and the 75-Ohm VHF/UHF terminal on your TV.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don_C:
Here is an excerpt from the RF manual. I guess what I want can't be done.
Anything can be done if you throw enough money at it. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

It sounds like you want one reciever on one channel on the coax and the other receiver on a different channel on the same coax. Correct?

If so, you need a multi-channel modulator, which is unfortunately more expensive than two single-channel modulators. (Maybe $100-$200, it's been awhile since I've looked.)

Alex

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don_C,

What you've proposed should work. According to the documentation, if your Dish 6000 unit is on the LED on the modulator should light up and you should get output on whichever channel you've selected for the modulator to output on. Once you turn the Dish 6000 unit off, the modulator's LED should turn off and whatever signal(s) are coming in from the original coax should be passed through to the TV unaltered.

Does the coax from the Sony carry any other signals, such as a regular antenna? If so, does the TV appear to be connected to the antenna when the modulator is off? If you connect the coax from the Sony directly to the TV do you get the Sony box signal? It does sound like the Radio Shack modulator may be defective if it is not passing this signal when off. It may be possible that the Radio Shack modulator must be plugged into power in order to pass the coax signal through. It's worth trying.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Turing off the 6000 with the remote does not turn the 6000 off. The composite and S-video (SD) outputs are still active, just outputting a black level signal. Using the front panel switch will deactivate the SD output, but only for 30 seconds or so while the 6000 resets.

Try using the SD/HD button as this deactivates the SD outputs. It sounds like the RatShaq modulator looks for a signal on the composite input. If the signal isn't present, it goes into bypass mode. With the 6000's behavior, it throws a monkey wrench into the works since there is always a signal present on the composite output whenever it's plugged in.

------------------

--Roland W. Fox

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks Roland and all.

Roland was correct. When I set the DISH 6000 to HD mode it

allows the Directv signal to pass to the bedroom TV. I can now watch both DISH (has all my movie channels) and Directv using the same coax to upstairs and a $30 Radio Shack RF modulator.

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.