AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new AVR uses an RF based remote. It is in the database, but when trying to update my Harmony One, the Logitech desktop software asks me to input the Power command from remote to remote. Because the AVR remote is RF, the Harmony One IR doesn't detect the signal. At this point I cannot update my HO and the whole process gets stuck. If the new AVR is IN the data-base, why do I even need to do this? Am I missing something? Is there a work-around?

I've used the HO for several years with my old IR based AVR and love it, but most of the new AVRs (even low end ones) seem to be RF based. What to do?

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
IR remotes won't work for RF equipment.

i'm not sure about RF becoming 'common', but i did have an RF controlled screen in my last theater. there was not way to make the harmony one work with it. you need something that emits RF signals, and accepts IR signals to bridge that gap.

there are plenty of new harmony remotes that support RF devices

i'm a big fan of the harmony one, i like it MUCH better than the new ones. if you can find one, the harmony 900 is the RF version of it. same remote body/button layout, but it's RF and comes with an IR blaster to be compatible with all devices.

as for the database, harmony seems to include everything it can in the database, and it's the same database for all remotes, so sometimes that's even the devices it can't control(but RF models could). for example the wii and ps3 are in the database, but since both are RF as well, it can't control anything on those devices. it still simplifies set up to have them as 'place holders' so your activities make sense. doesn't help so much for a receiver that you actually need to control though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IR remotes won't work for RF equipment.

i'm not sure about RF becoming 'common', but i did have an RF controlled screen in my last theater. there was not way to make the harmony one work with it. you need something that emits RF signals, and accepts IR signals to bridge that gap.

there are plenty of new harmony remotes that support RF devices

i'm a big fan of the harmony one, i like it MUCH better than the new ones. if you can find one, the harmony 900 is the RF version of it. same remote body/button layout, but it's RF and comes with an IR blaster to be compatible with all devices.

as for the database, harmony seems to include everything it can in the database, even the devices it can't control. for example the wii and ps3 are in the database, but since both are RF as well, it can't control anything on those devices. it still simplifies set up to have them as 'place holders' so your activities make sense. doesn't help so much for a receiver that you actually need to control though.
I do see that the Logitech software allows me to include RF equipment like a Marantz AVR that I'm thinking of getting (to replace a failing Pioneer). However, as you say the HO won't be able to communicate with the Marantz (RF) AVR.

I have heard that some devices (AVR and other) have a "translator" that allows them to receive IR commands. Do you know if that's true?

My other options seem to be, a) stick with devices that are IR based, or b) get another Logitech remote that WILL communicate with either IR or RF devices. Are there any?

I think about these things when I'm changing equipment, otherwise I like to set it up and forget it.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I do see that the Logitech software allows me to include RF equipment like a Marantz AVR that I'm thinking of getting (to replace a failing Pioneer). However, as you say the HO won't be able to communicate with the Marantz (RF) AVR.

I have heard that some devices (AVR and other) have a "translator" that allows them to receive IR commands. Do you know if that's true?

My other options seem to be, a) stick with devices that are IR based, or b) get another Logitech remote that WILL communicate with either IR or RF devices. Are there any?

I think about these things when I'm changing equipment, otherwise I like to set it up and forget it.
the only thing i know about is that logitech DOES offer a few remotes that are RF, usually the top of the line models.

as i mentioned earlier, the harmony 900 was the RF version of the harmony one. the new ones here: http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/harmony-remotes?filters=3559

1 - 4 of 4 Posts