AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone -

I have a 10 yr old Yamaha receiver, and 4 outdoor speakers. I am going to install the receiver somewhere tucked away in the basement near and the wall and drill through and run the speakers, but I want to be able to use a remote that can control it from anyplace in doors or outdoors since the receiver will be so remote. The controlling would be basic (switch input device & volume control primarily) so I dont need anything too elaborate.

Can anyone refer me to a good match for this basic need, or refer me to a thread here on AVS of similar need?

thanks for all your considerations

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
You could try using a RF remote solution or if you have a smartphone/tablet then you could use IP control over WiFi. In your example I'd lean toward the smartphone route since you would want to control it from multiple locations and would probably have the phone with you. With the remote you would need two remote or carry it between locations.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i love my Logitch 890 and it works well, I would also recommend using a smart phone with a global cache IP/IR unit

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks so much for your replies, both of you.

Adidas4275, that remote is listed at $349 which would kill my budget and likely overkill for what I need. Are there cheaper more simplified options you could advise of?

And you both mentioned WiFi - can you provide specific products that could support this?

I like the idea, but am concerned with wife not being able to use it if I am not there (hence just having a remote to power it on from the walkout area).

thanks again for any further thoughts...

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Do you have a smartphone? If not then the WiFi route would have to include a smartphone/iPod Touch/tablet in the budget.

Have a look at the iRule thread for a general idea. There are other companies that have IR to WiFi solutions besides iRule, but it has the most info posted here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.