AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I neighbor had DTV installed the other day..

they ran RG6 from dish to old cable(rg59)and said this was OK...

is this right?i thought you needed RG6 all the way through...

thanks-

Tommy

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is not OK. It may "work" in that his TV gets a signal, but the signal will be degraded and subject to interference. The installer took the easy way out, and your neighbor should complain and have them do it correctly.

Robb

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
That advice is incorrect. The signal delivered through RG-59 is NOT degraded or more subject to "interference". It's DIGITAL. You either get it or you don't. Both RG-6 and RG-59 are 75 ohm coaxial cabling and, as such, either is inherently resistant to interference effects. RG-59 uses 22 gauge center wire, and RG-6 uses 18 gauge center wire. (the lower the numeric value, the thicker the wire gauge) RG-6's superiority is less signal loss over longer runs (>75') and more reliable transmissivity of the 13 - 18 volt D.C. LNB power and switching current - again over longer runs. The user manual that accompanies a system takes the "safe" approach since there's no way for the manufacturer to know the precise run lengths involved from dish to receiver(s) for a customer installation. And, if a subscriber is starting from scratch, there's no particular reason not to go with RG-6 for the whole install. Ironically, the four 2' lengths of cabling supplied by Channel Master with DirecTV elliptical dishes to connect the LNBs to the multiswitch are weather-proofed RG-59. Your neighbor would find it more productive over the long haul to verify that all his exposed connections are with the special o-ring sealed weather proof "F" connectors than tearing out the RG-59 if it's delivering reasonably good signal strength numbers (75 or more).

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks-

a second neighbor as i type is getting DTV also,

contractor said the same thing as the other guy,

you only need RG6 from dish to inside the attic,actually he even said DTV gives you just R59 to run from splitter in attic to receiver....

i use a nec projector and will run RG6 myself i guess:(

ts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ray is correct that both RG6 and RG56 will give you a signal, but it depends on the length of cable run. I have two receivers, both with 100 ft. runs. Originally, the receiver in my room couldn't receive as much channels as the one in the living room, and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out, the cable in my room was using 75 ft RG6 and 25 ft RG56. When I changed to all RG6, I got all of the channels. So, to be safe, it would be wise to use RG6 all around if possible. I have friends that do satellite installs, and they never use RG56.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use a signal boster on all my lines, even if less than 100 feet. I also use both RG 6 and 59. Using a signal amplifer makes a huge difference in the quality of the picture. Using the tuner in a better grade VCR will give you a much better picture also with out the added expense and trouble of changing wiring which many times is built into the house and cant be change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.