AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved my sub to the back right corner of my living room so I have to run a sub cable in-wall about 60-70 ft. I read that RG-6 or any coaxial cable would do the trick.

Are there any disadvantages with using RG-6 cable for sub use? Since it's so much cheaper I'm wondering why others don't use it.

Second question is, although I think I know the answer, would it be a bad idea to run the cable (either RG-6 or RCA) down wall next to a 110 volt power line? There's an existing path down the backside of the wall where the power outlet is. I could easily fish the wire through the same path but my senses tell me it's not a good idea. I know the electricity can interfere with the signal and it's probably not safe. Just thought I'd ask in case I'm misinformed.

Thanks in advance for input.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
There are many, many types of RG-6 co-ax cable.

Quad-shield RG-6 is designed for broadcast and cable co. frequencies, it is not the best choice for analog audio (but it will work)

The best choice for long sub-woofer cables is a co-ax with a heavy braided shield.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Due to the frequencies that are being carried, I would only use something with a bare copper center conductor and a 95% bare copper braid. 95% Tinned Copper (with foil) commonly referred to as "Precision Video" would also work well.

While it may "work", avoid using any coax with a copper-covered-steel center conductor or with an aluminum braid.

In this application, you need the braid to work as a true conductor and the resistance of non-copper is less than ideal.

Best,

Carl

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! It sounds like it will work but isn't ideal so I'll just get a long RCA cable rated for in-wall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts