AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am remodeling my basement and I am trying to figure out if the investment in quad shield RG6 is needed. All of the specs say for RG6, but I just haven't found any hard (or soft) evidence that quad shield would be worth the extra $$$. Currently, I have quad shield to my two receivers, and the runs are over 50 feet, but under 100, and things look fine. The multi-switch is on the dish. Since I am adding a new receiver in the basement, then I will need a total of 5 lines (2 tivos, and one regular), so I have to buy a new multi-switch is well. Here is my plan:

I want to move the multi-switch inside, so the distance from the dish to the multi-switch will be ~35 feet. Then, from the multi-switch, my longest run will be ~ 50 feet. I already have a bunch of regular RG6. Should I run quad shield from the dish to the multi-switch? Can I then run regular in side the house? I already have a spool of regular, so you can see why I am trying to find a fit. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, is there any issues with putting my multi-switch inside the house? Obviously I would be doing a mid span amp, instead of a pre amp, but will that be an issue?

Thanks,

Noob haggis444

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Just use what you have. It's fine. Putting an amp as near to the signal source as possible works best because it amplifies the best signal and the least noise. The amplification of a powered multiswitch isn't that much though and your runs really aren't that long. I'd be very surprised if you had a problem.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Unless you live near an airport or in a metropolitain area (both places with lots of RF noise) then you probably don't need to use Quad RG-6. It's more expensive, and I also hear it is harder to work worth. Just use a quality RG-6 with a dual (foil and braid) shielding.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Less loss per foot, if you have long runs for say home made component video cables, go with quad. But for the most part no. I'll tell you what CATV installers use now days. RG-6 Tri-Shield. Uses standard RG-6 fittings too. Just peel back the top layer of foil. Good stuff with out breaking the bank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I went to pull the spool that I had, and looked closer at the cable (a so-called friend gave it to me) and it is crap. It is RG6, but only a 20% alum braid, of course their is the 100% foil around it as well. They stuff I pulled into my house before was Belden 533945, which has a 90% alum braid. I am going out to look for some Belden today. Thanks for all of your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.