AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have posted in other sections of this site. What this thread is about is where i can purchase RG11 wire for an outdoor antenna. My run will be about 75 feet or so from the antenna to the a/b switch. I know RG6 quad sheild may do good enough but i'd rather get a pre-fitted RG11 wire to make it much simpler and easier to use and better loss protection. I am using http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

I am unsure right now how high i can place this because of the house and how bad it will make the appereance of the house.

I also would like to figure out some sort of mast or tower type of thing that can be placed in a spot of the back yard that wouldnt look bad at all but be high enough to get above the tree-line which is about 50 to 60 feet high. My Elevation is 492 feet above sealevel.

See I would like to get as far out as possible. Just like many of you's on here also would like. I am just WNW of Philly and would like to know also how far could i expect to get also like would i have a shot at NYC or Baltimore or even better?

·
Registered
21,565 Posts
Philly shouldn't be too much of a problem with a traditional antenna. Omni's are generally not good for multipath rejection.

As for Balto and NYC... forget it.

Here's an excerpt about the antenna you are considering (which is very optimistic):

The estimated range for the low-profile Omnidirectional Amplified TV Antenna is about 30-35 miles with good, open terrain.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/0

Philly shouldn't be too much of a problem with a traditional antenna. Omni's are generally not good for multipath rejection.

As for Balto and NYC... forget it.

Here's an excerpt about the antenna you are considering (which is very optimistic):

The estimated range for the low-profile Omnidirectional Amplified TV Antenna is about 30-35 miles with good, open terrain.

What do you then recommend for me to get as far as antenna goes to get distance? Or am I trying to pull tofar and not going to happen?

·
Registered
21,565 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might be getting at least the RG11 wire from there maybe 2 50' wires one to replace the comcast line from the splitter to my room. And also one to run from the Antenna to the a/b switch. Will i notice a significant quality in the PQ from using RG6 quad sheild to RG11?

Also what do you think my furthest distance could be? If i got this antenna you listed on here? Do you think Channel 69 would come in ok?

Also should i buy a new ground block to replace the one i am using that the cable line used to be running the old cable from adelphia cable?

·
Registered
21,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMolineux /forum/post/0

Will i notice a significant quality in the PQ from using RG6 quad sheild to RG11?

No

Quote:
Also what do you think my furthest distance could be?

With that antenna... not too far. You may be able to get Philly. Stable reception may be questionable.

Quote:
If i got this antenna you listed on here? Do you think Channel 69 would come in ok?

Channel 69 from Allentown? Perhaps, with a rotor and an amp.

Quote:
Also should i buy a new ground block to replace the one i am using that the cable line used to be running the old cable from adelphia cable?

That depends on the quality of the ground, the block, wire gauge, where and how it's grounded.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've had no luck getting a peep out of NY, though I have gotten a little fuzzy analog bit out of Baltimore from Trappe with an XG91. Because of the strength of the stations from Roxborough, you'd probably need some serious filtering to successfully receive either one, or find a place where Roxborough isn't in the line of sight. This might change in 2009, but then you'll need a massive VHF antenna to attempt most NY and Baltimore stations.

A Channel Master 4221 gets Roxborough just fine from my location, though I need an amp to get WHYY-DT reliably.

For the Allentown station (Channel 69) you'll need another antenna or a rotor. I can pick it up with a homemade antenna from my second story (my main antenna can't get it because the house is in the way) and there's a hill in the way. Since at 492 feet you're pretty much above most of the local terrain, you should be good there.

I wouldn't bother with RG-11. Have you seen that stuff? It's HUGE and expensive. Maybe if you got some for free and were pre-wiring a house, it'd be worth it. Otherwise, go for RG-6. Bluejeanscable.com sells some RG-6 cable with better specs than General Cable (which is the stuff I've found in Lowes) RG-6, if you're worried about cable quality. They also sell RG-11 if you're a glutton for punishment. I think, but am not sure, that they are selling cable with connectors already on, not just bulk cable.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I Get Channel 69 from Allentown on Analog so far with it only being 10 or there about feet above the ground with tree's in the way on Analog so-far. Also the Digital reading is about 48 out of 100. I seem to be getting some other digital feeds like 4 9 13 as

Like 4-01 at 58

Chan 9-01 at 50

Chan 13-01 at 58

44-01 at 80 and visiable picture on it Digital from Atlantic City WMCN.

·
Registered
21,565 Posts
Well...

You've been provided with some suggestions. You can keep trying with the antenna you have and "hope" you improve that with RG11. Best of luck.

If you desire stable reception with digital channels, non-fuzzy analog reception from Philly you may want to take those suggestions. As for Balto/NYC stations, you need to go bigger/better and add some gear to to make your efforts worthwhile.

We're not just blowin' smoke... many of us have been at this for a few years.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yep, I get WMCN also, as well as WNJS. They're directly in line with the Roxborough towers from my location (further NW of Philly), which works out well.

Channel 13-1 is probably WJZ-DT from Baltimore. 9-1 would be WWOR-DT from New Jersey. 4-1 would be WNBC-DT from New York. If you can get those well enough to identify the channel numbers with an omni you're in a pretty nice spot for reception.

But if you want a solid picture out of them you're going to need a bigger antenna, and a rotor. And come 2009 you'll need a big VHF antenna for some of them.

If you've got the budget and really want to try for the distant channels, get a rotor and an Antennas Direct 91XG that Ratman recommended (it's lighter than the CM4228), and make sure your receiver is a good one. I'm not sure about the pre-amp... anything which would help with the distant stations risks overloading when pointed towards Roxborough. No guarantees and the equipment isn't returnable.

If you'd be content with Philly, a CM4221 should do just fine.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler /forum/post/0

If you'd be content with Philly, a CM4221 should do just fine.

Until February, 2009, when WPVI-DT ABC 6 switches it's digital signal to VHF 6.

LMolineux, if you are going to go to the trouble and expense of mounting an antenna up on a mast on the roof or especially on a tower, you need to put up an antenna or antenna set that can receive VHF low. As whether long range reception of Baltimore, NYC, or other distant PA stations is possible, you should go to tvfool.com and plug in your exact location and say 40' or 50' for the antenna. You should also go to the 3D visualization thread, install Google Earth, download the Philadelphia, Baltimore-Washington, and NYC kmz files and investigate which, if any, of those distant stations show up with a color overlay for your location at all.

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,642 Posts
Forget about the RG-11, it won't help.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok some-things discovered this morning. Moved my antenna from one temp spot to another. Less loss of signal on the lower end channels. Also i removed the ground block for temp as it i think is too-old and weather worn as it hasnt been used in years, so i think that the ground block is no-good, So I will be replacing it, Once i moved the antenna from near the pool to the patio-table umbrella holder closer to my room using a RG6 Quad Sheild Coax I have now gained Analog 16 from Salsbury,MD about 137 Miles or so away and also Channel 15 Harrisburg,PA. So I am unsure of if that is good or not so far, And i maybe for temp putting the antenna in the attic for now untill I can get someone to help or put up the Antenna on the Chimney or some location very high up.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Like Ken H said....

Since you are planning an amplified antenna, changing to something like RG-11 won't help, since the amplifier stage (now, in the antenna) is what sets the noise figure of the received signal.

Now, if you were going for some really distant station, and had a passive (non-amplified) antenna, it might be different. Then, the tuner in your TV would be the circuit that determines reception ability.....so, you'd want as low a cable loss as possible.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am glad you's know alot, And i respect that, i also know that yous also have been at this for years. I am glad this place is good like this, I will describe more of my current setup,

The Antenna is about 10 or there about in Feet above the ground. But behind a bunch of tree's and the house and the Garage. So its being blocked hard-core to a degree, Thats why i am unsure of if putting this antenna in the attic for now might help with height and distance for this short term it is going to be in the attic. But there is a 50 Foot RG6 Quad Sheild and going into a Coupler into a 20 Foot RG6 wire from comcast which was in the HSI modem kit that white wire they include then into an amp for the antenna then into an A/B switch since my tv is pretty good as far as having a signal meter and also the switching between cable and antenna w/out having to reprogram everytime i switch between either source. So i am unsure if there is a loss right there or not. But anymore idea's since my dad who currently owns the house wont allow much to be done to it untill i gain the house.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I use RG11 for my antenna. I live in a very difficult OTA area and every little bit helps. The RG11 gives me a few db extra signal. Three db is double the signal remember. I got my RG11 from a local electronics store that has since gone out of business. Said they could not compete with Fry's. I paid maybe 13 cents a foot times 70 feet is only $9.10 with a bag of two connectors maybe $1. It is big but it is only the one cable that is bulky.

Rick R

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R /forum/post/0

I use RG11 for my antenna. I live in a very difficult OTA area and every little bit helps. The RG11 gives me a few db extra signal. Three db is double the signal remember. I got my RG11 from a local electronics store that has since gone out of business. Said they could not compete with Fry's. I paid maybe 13 cents a foot times 70 feet is only $9.10 with a bag of two connectors maybe $1. It is big but it is only the one cable that is bulky.

Rick R

RickR,

With your use of RG11 you say you gained a bit of the signal that was lost if you were using RG6 quad sheilded? Or am i miss-reading into it a bit. With your OTA Antenna using the RG11 wire how would you compair it to using RG6 or RG6 quad sheild?

Also with my configuration should i purchase a new ground block since this one i have is shot? And should i also look into an FM trap or no?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was using RG6 on a 250' run and was using amplification...switched to RG11 and left all else the same...much improvement in signal strength.

·
Registered
21,565 Posts
With a 250' run.... most would suggest RG11.

·
Registered
378 Posts
But with 28db of UHF pre-amplification it shouldn't have made a difference, right?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts