AVS Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21,577 Posts
Who knows? Depends on the hardware you're using and how it's interconnected and where the pre-amp is inserted. General rule of thumb is that if you have a very long cable run (over ~125') RG11 may be a wise consideration/investment.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
RG11 gives you extra signal with less noise. A 28 db preamp gives you extra signal but extra noise also. I use RG11 with my Winegard 8275 28 db preamp. When I put in the RG11 my two difficult stations got less breakups.

Rick R

·
Registered
938 Posts
rg11

75' run

rg6 -4.5db

rg11 - 3 db

difference ~1 db

I can see adding rg 11 if the coax run is long well over 150' and the antenna of higher performance . but this scenario is like adding performance tires and rims to a civic and trying to make it perform like an expensive european sports car.

I would think you will get better results if you improved your antenna setup as opposed to keeping your current antenna and trying to improve signal response by adding rg11.

try something different

·
Registered
690 Posts
Right. Chances are raw signal strength isn't the big issue preventing reception of the distant channels anyway. It's probably multipath (because you're using an omni) and adjacent channel/co-channel interference (mostly from the close and powerful Roxborough stations). A more directional antenna will help with both those issues.

The positive thing is that you apparently are receiving those channels well enough to receive the VCT at least sometimes. This bodes well for being able to receive them with a better setup.

One issue which RG-11 might help with, over copper-clad-steel RG-6, is powering a pre-amp over a long run. However, solid copper RG6 will work just as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Upon some measuring and such this morning my current Antenna is located at 9 to 11 feet above the ground with only 2 very faint open air-spots but still have some tree issues on those spots as well.

I currently have a picture i am going to show of the current spot but this was taken during the winter with snow on the ground but the Antenna is on some sort of pole and stuck into that umbrella hole slot.

There is a Rather Large Maple tree there behind this table its off-set but covers like a blanket the general area of this direction and then there is an evergreen tree along that wall at the corner on the left of the picture and then a smaller lets say 20 foot Evergreen Tree off out of the picture towards the right of the table. That picture is facing Route 30 Lancaster Ave. but more off-set as wellthat wall goes almost blunt 90 degrees into route 30 minus the sidewalk of course. But the house stands at peak 30 feet tops above ground in the back and about 26 feet above the ground in the front due to a step down into the back yard.

·
Registered
21,577 Posts
The simple solution is to take the advice provided.

A "real" antenna.

As high as possible. tower is best, roof is better... attic may suffice,

If you want to shoot for Balto and NYC...

biggest antenna and rotor. Pre-amp and possibly a way to defeat when watching Philly channels since the pre-amp may overload the tuner.

·
Registered
454 Posts

Rick0725 said:
rg11

75' run

rg6 -4.5db

rg11 - 3 db

difference ~1 db

If you have a marginal signal,just on the treshold of a distant signal(60-70 miles), wouldn't the extra 1.5db provide a more stable signal?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts