AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few weeks, the low voltage guy will be running RG6 and cat5e throughtout our home. The builder will not let me run my own wiring (we've been around and around on this, talked to the super, etc.. won't happen!) He insists on running a "high quality" subwoofer cable in a wall as opposed to RG6, and of course wants to charge extra for it. If I told him to add another run of RG6 to where my sub is going, can I just put my own RCA connectors on the ends and be done with it? And not pay for some other cable that he recommends?

Thanks,

Brian -

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Golitzbt
In a few weeks, the low voltage guy will be running RG6 and cat5e throughout our home. The builder will not let me run my own wiring (we've been around and around on this, talked to the super, etc.. won't happen!) He insists on running a "high quality" subwoofer cable in a wall as opposed to RG6, and of course wants to charge extra for it. If I told him to add another run of RG6 to where my sub is going, can I just put my own RCA connectors on the ends and be done with it? And not pay for some other cable that he recommends?

Thanks,

Brian -
Whatever happens it needs to be cleared up fast as drywall is coming soon. The "high quality" sub cable may just be RG6QS (quad shielded coax), verse standard RG6 2-layer shield. The contractor is "opposed to RG6", what is he using, speaker wire or CAT6? Most new homes have homes prewired with QS, especially the sub interconnect to avoid hum from the sub plate amp. If you have a powered sub it will accept a low level RCA end cable. You can terminate your own RCA connectors. It is your castle, get the cable you want and pay for. You can get anything you want. As for codes, low voltguys are not required to be licensed, but builders do not want homeowners running the cable per contractor insurance and safety issues.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
For longer runs, you want an RG6 or RG59 with a solid copper center conductor. Most RG6 is used for higher frequency antenna and dish signals where skin effect allows for copper coated steel. How much money is the contractor charging for the cable anyway and how long is it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pat,

define "longer runs".

I ran Genesis 2c14 for all my speakers including the sub. Run length approximately 40 feet. Now, I had about 20' of Belden 7916QS left over and ran it from my sub location, up the wall and coiled it in the attic. My thinking was if I get an active sub I can splice in and use the RG6. However my primary use was to be the 2c14.

I ran over 5500' of RG6, 2c14, 2c18, and cat5e. My builder allowed me the latitude to do whatever I needed. I met with the electrician prior to going in and explained what I was doing and where. He did not have a problem with it either. I guess it's just my inner stubborness but spending the kind of money it takes to build a house these days and having a builder tell me I can't do a thing - but he'll run it for twice the cost, makes my blood boil.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I wouldn't use steel center wire RG6 for a sub run of 20ft. As far as the non coaxial speaker wire goes, there is a chart for guage needed regarding wire length and speaker impedence at http://www.roger-russell.com/wire.htm

·
Registered
65 Posts
7916AQS is solid copper core. Not sure if it affects your opinion of the run length.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.