AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy RG6 cable to run from the cable co. line at the front of the house to a room 50 or 60 feet away. The new cable will pass 4' below the house electrical box. About a mile north of here and at an elevation 700' higher are several radio/phone towers. I'm thinking those aren't going to interfere but I'm now so sure about the proximity of the electrical panel. Is standard RG6(dual) ok or should I go with quad? Thanks

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
Either should be fine. The RG-6 QS may have slightly less signal loss, so in theory it should be better.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Does anyone have recommendations for a coax stripper? Over the decades that I've been installing F-connectors I've just used a good wire stripper & a razor blade for the outer jacket. Just kind of grew up doing it that way because years ago specialized tools were not readily available. When I go into Fry's or a home improvement store I look at the real coax strippers. Is any brand really better than another?

·
Registered
333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 /forum/post/17030979

Does anyone have recommendations for a coax stripper? .........Is any brand really better than another?

i've been using one similar to this one for many many years...its known as a 'clothes pin' style, i think.....the brand is probably not important....

it has served me well.....it makes both cuts in one pass.....it does rg-6 and 59.....blade cut depth is adjustable and blades are replaceable, at least on mine ....

i'm amazed at the very low $4 price these days...i think i paid $10 or 15 longggg ago >

http://www.summitsource.com/vanco-co...5f2f4842b20126

·
Registered
3,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_fisherman /forum/post/17031688

I like IDEAL and IDEAL compression fittings.. Can be purchased at Home Depot also..

I use these also. Previously I used a jack knife and screw on F connectors and it took me 20 minutes to do one connector that was mechanically so so. My new house is wired with most rooms with two RG6Q cables all going to a junction box. Too many connectors required. So I got the Ideal strippers and compression tools. Now it takes me maybe 30 seconds to put on a connector that is mechanically strong. Why didn't I get that before???

By the way I also got a 250' roll of RG6Q coax. Now I can make any size cable for 1/4 the price of premade cables.

Rick R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts