AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran 6 runs of RG6 Quad to the wall and I terminated with RCA connectors, however when connected to the TV, which is mounted on a swing arm, the stiffness of the coax causes the TV to swing away, not to mention the tight fit/radius to the back of the TV.

Would you recommend:

1. Running RG6 Quad to a wallplate, then RG 59 interconnects to the TV. I don't know how much more flexible RG59 is compared to RG 6 Quad.

2. Running RG6 Quad to a wallplate with a RG6 Quad to RCA connector and then run short premade stranded, commercially available, RCA interconnects to the TV.

I cannot replace the RG6 Quad in the walls.

Thanx,

·
Registered
804 Posts
If you already have extra rca connectors might as well make them yourself for a short run. RG-6 quad is much stiffer than regular RG-6, and RG-6 is much stiffer than RG-59 so thats up to you, personally I would go with RG-6 (solid copper, not copper clad steel). And just do your first option with putting a plate up and making a short run, if you dont have extra rca connectors just get a small inexpensive cable for yourself.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'd go with the wallplate and either a flexible store bought cable or make your own with rg-59. There are no bandwidth issues with 59 vs. 6 at these lengths and it's much more flexible. If going DIY, see if you can track down something like LIberty cable Interflex RG-59. It's very flexible.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Corr
I'd go with the wallplate and either a flexible store bought cable or make your own with rg-59. There are no bandwidth issues with 59 vs. 6 at these lengths and it's much more flexible. If going DIY, see if you can track down something like LIberty cable Interflex RG-59. It's very flexible.
I looked through their catalog but could not find the Liberty cable you're talking about. Do you have a page # or part #.

Thanx,

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Go with stranded RG59 or even what's called mini coax along with the wallplate idea. Make sure it's all copper and not copper over steel. I'm betting that your RG6 is a solid core conductor, Had you picked up on a stranded one, you 'might' not have had the problem. Next time, right?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here is the link to the Liberty product: https://secure.libertycable.com/ecom...e.php?group=74

Part number INTERFLEX-SD-(color)

It is a non-UL rated equivalent to Belden's 1505A specifically made for DIY interconnect fabrication. All video signals from simple composite through RF/DBS and HDTV, analog and digital audio. It has an translucent thermoplastic elastomer jacket for aesthetic appeal.

In viewing the notes above the RG59 may also have the same issue in regards to bend radius and flexibility. If you have RF/DBS signals I suggest a mini-coax as in Belden 1855A or Liberty 23-MINI-SD. If RF/DBS is not present just grab a piece of mini-RGB cable and strip off the outer jacket and create micro interconnects with the inner coaxes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.