AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new NEC projector, using the wiring that I installed in the ceiling when our house was built a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't plan very well, because I only ran 3 coax cables and a power cable.

So, I have my component video from my DVD to the projector, but I have to break out my s-video cable from my cable box and run it across the floor, up to the projector. (didn't think to run an s-video cable from the tv to the projector). And, when I get HD cable, I'll have to unplug from the DVD Player and plug ino the component output of the cable HD box.

I need a recommendation on a video selector/procesor that will at a minimum take two component video inputs and an s-video input, and send the output to my projector. The DVD Iscan Pro looks interesting, but it only has one component video input.

Any other suggestions?

thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll simplify the question. Can anyone recommend a device to switch between two component video devices (dvd player and HD cable tv box).

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
People have had good luck with a manual push button AUDIO/video switch box that typically costs about USD $25.00. Connect the Y to the yellow, the Pr to the red and the Pb to the white.

This is theoretically not the best way to go and if you are skeptical, they make more expensive switch boxes with the proper impedance (75 ohms) and proper bandwidth (known to be over the 37 MHz needed for HDTV.)

But what the heck, wasting twenty five dollars is no big deal and you might be able to use it for audio if it doesn't give you enough video quality.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

(Audio/video boxes with remote control probably don't work as well for video than the manual ones.)

·
Registered
4,321 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Check out the Pelican pro. It has all the connections you'll ever need to switch 8 devices (component, S-video, composite, Optical, Cat5...). It's passive and HDTV compatible. There's one on Ebay now for under $50 (item#3074401822). It does not do scaling however. Also, not remote controlled like the Zektor unit is. If money isn't an issue, get the Lumagen Pro ($1800)...it will do what you want and more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.