AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What hookup will yield the better picture quality. I want to use one as a backup from my TS160 to my projector. The main line will be DVI output but the PJ is not HDCP compliant, so sometime in the near future I could get nailed on the DVI content protection feature if DTV wishes to toggle the switch during broadcasting. Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
RGB/"VGA" is better than component. Unlike component, it does not require an analog conversion step inside the display device.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW6ATV
RGB/"VGA" is better than component. Unlike component, it does not require an analog conversion step inside the display device.
While better then component, RGB/VGA is still analog. Component is YPbPr, RGB is RGBHV.

The only digital output TS160 has is DVI.

Hope it clarifies it,

Kirill

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I think I will run the RGB cable as the backup since no copy protection signal is sent over it. It sounds like that is the best of the analog signals to use.

Steve

·
Registered
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW6ATV
Not always true. Many display devices convert RGB to YPbPr in order to implement the controls "color" (the gain of Pb and Pr relative to Y) and "tint" (the ratio of Pb to Pr). If the display device only implements red, blue, and green color controls then that conversion probably does not occur. There will be a YPbPr component to RGB conversion somewhere in the path always. The DTV signal is MPEG-2 YPbPr. So after decoding in the STB the result is YPbPr, which can be converted to RGB. If the display device uses a RGB to YPbPr to RGB scheme, then using the RGB output of the STB will add an extra YPbPr to RGB to YPbPr step in the process. If the display device does not do the conversion to YPbPr, then you still have to decide if you want the YPbPr to RGB conversion done in the STB or the display device. I guess the result of this is there is no hard and fast rule to this question.

Ernie

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. So let me bounce this off you guys. I have 2 devices that output DVI. A Bravo D1 DVD (does not output HDCP...yeah) and a TS160 (will pass HDCP if enabled from DTV). My PJ is a Yamaha DPX-1 NON HDCP compliant (key concept in this post). I want to run a composite video cable to the PJ from the D1. This connection is needed since the D1 reverts to this signal when messing around in the custom menus. I also want to run the DVI output of the D1 and the TS160 into a HDTV switch which then outputs to the PJ via DVI. This way I can choose between the two best signals output from the video equipment. Next I want to hook my A/V receiver to the PJ via component RGB cables, all other devices will go to the PJ via the receiver via this connection. And finally I want to output as a backup from the TS160 a HD15 RGB cable to carry a signal to the PJ in case DTV decides to enable HDCP protection on any of their programming. This cable was the root of the original question of was it better signal wise than the RGB component cable. Again I am doing this to maintain the very best video signal to the PJ at any point in time. Thanks again for any feedback.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.