AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do most projectors use nowdays: RGB or VGA? Also, is RGB and component the same thing?

·
Registered
334 Posts
RGB and Component are not the same.

Component is YPbPr (3x RCA coloured Red, Blue, Green) - not to be confused with RGB

RGB can be input via two methods, [1] RGBHV (5xRCA - 3x Coloured Red, Blue, Green & 1x Horizontal Sync & 1x Vertical Sync [2] VGA 15pin D-sub

If your device has RGBHV and your pj has VGA you can get a RGBHV->VGA cable to connect each together

If your device has VGA and your pj has VGA you can get a VGA->VGA cable to connect each together

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a projector yet. But i'm building an HT room and want to put a jack on the wall and celling. Should i put a VGA jack? Is that what most DLPs use?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^

·
Registered
116 Posts
The VGA connector is a carry over from the office environment. You can use this connector to hook-up your laptop or desktop to your projector. I've used the VGA inputs on these type of projectors and thought the image looked very nice from my laptop DVD player. Component is comparable to VGA. A non-videophile probably couldn't tell the difference between a VGA input and a component input. Skip the composite and S-video connections if you can. You'll probably see image degradation with these inputs.

There is a lot of debate about connections on this site. You might continue doing some searching through the links. Happy hunting.

- AlrightyThen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.