AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time calibrator. When doing the RGB cuts/drv readings in continous mode (CalMan) I get varying readings. ONe reading might be 99.0 the next one could be 100.3 then 95.5 etc. Is this normal? Makes it hard to adjust cuts and drvs. This also poses a problem with my 11pt greyscale since i can make my graph look anyway I want it to if I just take enough readings at each point.

It is a panasonic v10 display and I am using the spyder 3. Is it possible the meter is the problem since it is the low end model?

Since the RGB cuts/drv control what the ALL cut/drv will be is there a time where you would change the ALL cut/drv individually and what affect would it have?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sorry I cannot help you, but I'm also having varying readings using my i1 LT.

I'm using the ColorHCFR software.

I'm just wondering if it's normal as well.

Should we average the values?

Thanks.

Pitou!

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
The best thing to do in such a case is to average readings. It doesn't really improve the inherent accuracy, much, but it does smooth out the results considerably and makes the workflow easier. However, it also increases the time required for each reading to be returned.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been visually averaging my readings. Trying to see a common midpoint so to speak and throwing out the highest and lowest readings. So do you believe it is due to the meter or this this problem not so uncommon?

Do you have any comments on changing the ALL cut/drv settings? Thanks for your response

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 /forum/post/16954013

First time calibrator. When doing the RGB cuts/drv readings in continous mode (CalMan) I get varying readings. ONe reading might be 99.0 the next one could be 100.3 then 95.5 etc. Is this normal? Makes it hard to adjust cuts and drvs. This also poses a problem with my 11pt greyscale since i can make my graph look anyway I want it to if I just take enough readings at each point.

It is a panasonic v10 display and I am using the spyder 3. Is it possible the meter is the problem since it is the low end model?

Since the RGB cuts/drv control what the ALL cut/drv will be is there a time where you would change the ALL cut/drv individually and what affect would it have?

Increase the exposure/ integration time for the Spyder3 and that should stabilize the readings.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Derek.. I appreciate your response.. I am also having a hard time getting a reliable reading at 10 and 20% white windows.. I know that I shouldn't expect much at 10% but 20 % is as bad as 10..

My meter is set up currently as shipped with the following settings:

low light handler enabled

exposure: 2 secs ( i will changed to 3 sec)

low trigger:5.0

low exposure: 7 secs

The meter is only a week old.. I will change the exposure time to 3 sec which is as hi as it goes...thanks for your help

Don

·
Registered
773 Posts
It doesn't actually matter if it's 10%, 20% etc., the only thing that matters is the amount of light (Y values) getting to the meter.

The majority of meters are not accurate at the kind of light levels you typically get at 10/20% grey from most displays.

Changing the exposure value may help with the Spyder 3, but it might simply be that those readings are below what it can read accurately.

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
The question was asked if "pro" meters vary as much as a Spyder or i1-LT... in general no... pro meters will vary a little but not enough to be terribly significant. The exception is the darkest steps of the grayscale. All meters have increasing problems as light levels get lower and lower. So variations tend to be smaller the brighter the screen is. Lower cost meters react the same way, but the variations are much larger than you see with "pro" meters and you may not ever see the brighter luminance steps settle down like they do with better meters.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am completely satisfied with my spyder. It has helped me increase the picture quality of my display immenseley and I thought it was good before. I knew beforehand that it wasn't the most accurrate meter in the world but you get what you pay for.

The other upside is that I enjoyed calibrating my first tv and plan on doing so for friends and family.

I appreciate all of your responses and time.

Don

·
Registered
12,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitou /forum/post/16955257

Sorry I cannot help you, but I'm also having varying readings using my i1 LT.

I'm using the ColorHCFR software.

I'm just wondering if it's normal as well.

Should we average the values?

Thanks.

Pitou!

Try enabling "average many reads on dark measurements." This option makes dark readings (0-30% on my Plasma) much more consistent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts