AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound ridiculous but I am looking for a scan converter that won't cost a second mortgage to downconvert HDTV to composite or S-Video..It will also have to scan convert a computer picture....Many of us have Home Theater set-ups that mix our Sat receivers, DVD Players etc onto blank Cable Channels and send them to other TV's throughout a house system...Therefore, if you are watching a Hi-Def image on a Big Screen tv, and have to run to another room, then you can continue watching the same image.....Am currently using a low end scan converter but the quality is significantly reduced..Can anyone recommend a good low end unit that will also display computer graphics that are legible and not washed out colors....

Thanks

------------------

Paul Murray

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Several members of the Unity Motion forum (including myself) were involved in just such a search about a year or so ago. Our goal was similiar, except that none of us had the cash to own a "real" HDTV and were watching on computer monitors, but wanted to serve the sharp images as best as was possible to NTSC devices. I auditioned several that were in the < $200 range and searched the web like crazy, but to no avail. All of them had motion sickness or other issues. Maybe there's something new out there. Dunno.

Good luck!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
133 Posts
I know the RCA DTC-100 will down convert a Hi-Def signal to S-Video or Composite but it will not display the same Hi-Def signal on the RGB interface at the same time.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have a Channel Plus Model 3025 "All in One" multi-room video distribution system. I bought it three years ago and have no idea what the current price is I'd guess $350). The manual says diesgned and manufactured by Multiplex Technology, Inc, 3001 Enterprise St., Brea, CA 92821. Phone 714-996-4100, 800-999-5225, fax 714-996-4900. I pre-wired my house with this unit in mind, so the interconnections were all there. This unit will use up to three inputs; one (RF)antenna/cable/satelitte receiver and two video sources (composite video and L/R audio ). If you had this system, your solution is easy and you have several alternatives; have the RF out as cchannel 3/4 to all TV's viewed on the channel (least quality picture, but on analog TV it looks normal, select an unused channel number, such 54 or 105, and tune the TV's to that channel. The unit will feed 4-5 TV's thru RG6 coax. Works bueatiful. This is the least expensive system I found at the time. I'm sure it will not feed HD signals of course, but there must newer models that will. Good Luck.

Chuck

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses...I already have a multi-room install allowing 14 additional channels to the top end of the Cable TV spectrum...What I am attempting to do is to add a downconverted HDTV signal to one of these extra channels without paying a fortune for good res....That way you can simultaneously watch a HDTV signal on a Hi-res projection signal in one room yet go to a regular tv in another area of the house and watch it on an upconverted cable channel...

thanks

------------------

Paul Murray

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Come to think of it, this kind of device is not likely to come cheaply. It seems like the the ability to sync this signal and then output in another format is similar to the capability required to record the original. With the JVC W-VHS decks rocking the scales in the $3000+ neighborhood, it seems unlikely that performance converters would be available in the price range we seek. I know that the W-VHS decks have a lot more gear onboard than just the synchronizer, but it seems like that is a key component(s) that would both require high quality and be in short supply/demand. Having said that, I could be wrong.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.