AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
deep color is only available on some newer TFT HDTVs, which you should NOT buy because of TFTs bad viewing angles. Instead, a PC IPS panel will give the best picture, in which case RGB range will be full.

Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White is only good if your using a CRT HDTV as any decent flat panel will be RGB native and if it isn't its using some screwed up software conversion & should be smashed with a hammer.

am i right?

RGB range is still obscure... I suppose it depends on the display & if its faking 24-bit color...

Is any of this making sense? Your input if you please.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Honestly, super white and deep color are both not really necessary. Deep color simply allows for two more bits of color information that no content probably takes advantage of anyways. Even with a display that can handle 12 bit color and content that takes advantage of it, you wouldn't really notice a difference. No blu-ray takes uses deep color. Theres really no point to turning it on, as blu-rays use 4:2:2 color space anyways. I wouldn't get too excited about either one of these features. And the conversion from 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 does present a very slight loss of color information, but again, not noticeable. Its also not done in software, but in hardware (FPGA code). I wouldn't worry about it either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.