Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are interested....

I am having success with a Kramer VP-222 RGB switch for RGB switching between my HTPC and Dish 6000.

The HTPC is RGB out into input 1 of the switch.

The Dish 6000 is component out into input 2 of the switch.

The LT150 projector is set to auto mode and connected to output 1 of the switch.

I notice no degradation of signal or noise from the switch using decent RGB cables. I think 2 are from a2z. One is from Fry's.

The switch has a second output I'm not using, but would be useful if you wanted a monitor output in addition.

The input is chosen with a manual switch on the back of the unit. So I do have to get up and go to the rack to switch between HTPC and HDTV.

The total cost was $128.20 shipped from AVSuperstore.com. If you find one cheaper, make sure to let everyone know. Just don't tell me!

--Les

·
Registered
505 Posts
I purchased a VP 212 which is the automatic 2 in 1 out RGB switcher. I have had good success with it. I do experience slight ghosting with text in windows (not visible in video) which I believe is due to the extremely cheap cables that I currently have. Bought for ~$128 from Markertek.com.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I received two Kramer switches last week and am pleased with both (more evaluation yet to come). Both are manual, but that doesn't matter since I have other switches to throw for the sound when I switch devices. I have a VP201 which I run backward to switch the HTPC between my 21" monitor and the VP-41. The VP-41 switches the output to my VT540 between the HTPC (RGB), Unity Motion HDR-1000A (component), 4DTV/HDD-200 (component), and a spare for the eventual expansion :D I got them from a local Kramer dealer (Bluewater) for $110 and $193 plus (drop) shipping and tax. Finally I no longer have to swap cables or crawl under the table!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm using 2 2-way switch boxes and 1 VGA splitter. I'm switching between 3 VGA sources and 2 displays without any PQ problems at all.The switch boxes are $16 each the VGA-splitter is $55.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
While it is true that many may find lamp cord a sufficient replacement for speaker cable, many have noticed significant degredation when using inexpensive switches. I attempted to use them but found the artifacts objectionable. I am very pleased with my moderately expensive switches. YMMV. See dealer for details.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was unsuccessful with a store bought switch I got from Fry's. I also was unsuccessful with a store bought splitter. Same store.

Both suffered from ghosting using the same cables I am now.

Which is why I wanted to share my experience with the Kramer. Of course, the other proposed solutions are quite valuable as well.

Please include your system components used as input/output and the type of material viewed when sharing.

--Les

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.