AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Notebook I use for surfing the web and some minor gaming and I am currently looking at buying a HDTV. My question is the HDTV I am looking at does not have a RGB connection however it has a DVI connection is it possible to convert/adapt the RGB output from the notebook to connect to the DVI on the HDTV? I have searched the forums for the answer but have not found any info on this any help would be apreciated.

Thanks

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
i have not seen one to convert from VGA-out to DVI, but if you are looking to go out to HDTV, then you can get a VGA-to-Component converter. about $100, and probably your best bet.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Although I haven't looked at dlarsen's site link, going VGA-out to DVI-analog is obviously trivial (just routing cable connections), but I'm assuming you mean VGA-out (analog) to DVI-digital, which is generally more difficult.

That said, I don't think you could gain much doing this anyway. The point of DVI-digital is that you have a completely digital signal fromthe source to the display device, and no analog conversion is necessary. But if the signal you want to convert is VGA already, it's already been converted to analog, and so all the blah-ness associated with analog signals will be present in the DVI digital signal, too.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
so, given the option of a 300$ DVI converter, or a 100$ Component converter, i personally would go the Component route, and dump the other 200$ into getting a better HDTV :) especially if you're currently looking at the sub 2000$ level, where 200$ can make a world of difference...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the Info and yes it RGB analog to DVI digital. I have been looking at the Hitachi 50V500 and really like what I see but I am planing on waiting untill the 60V500 is available would prefer the larger screen. I think I will be going the VGA to component converter route as it makes more sense. Maybe I will get lucky and Hitachi will include a RGB jack on the 60V500 where they did not on the 50V500 as many are disapointed on the amount of inputs available on the 50V500 adding more component inputs and maybe a RGB would make many happy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.