AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to connect my DVD player (Pioneer DV-F727) to my RP HDTV (Philips 64PH9905). The DVD player has regular component out connections, and the HDTV has a dedicated high definition input (BNC connectors for RGBHV). I purchased a component cable from Better Cables which has RCA connectors on one end (for the DVD player) and BNC connectors on the other (for the HDTV). When I hook things up, however, the picture is not in synch.

Can you hook up RGB to RGBHV without any connectors for the HV? The cable I got from Better Cables just has 3 RCA connectors going to 3 BNC connectors, with nothing for the horizontal and vertical connections. I'd like to use the high definition BNC connectors on the Philips, but have a feeling that you cannot go from component connections to full high-def RGBHV. Can anyone confirm this, or, if this is not the case, can anyone help me figure out why I can't seem to get the picture to synch?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
There are numerous posts from me trying to straighten out the same problem with my 9905. Interesting to read it apparently wasn't a one-of glitch. Spent some time trying to figure out if my Toshiba SD-6200 was at fault, tri-level sync was off, etc., etc. Presume that's a progressive DVD signal you're feeding to HD component; interlaced DVD goes to the separate DVD component jacks (you'd need BNC-to-RCA adapters to modify your present cable, or just regular RCA-type audio/video cables).

Finally got a small service firm to swap two boards (wide-band video, and the jack-panel board), which corrected the problem and sync locks in perfectly.

Just before my repair warranty ran out last month I unsuccessfully made a last-minute stab at correcting what I believe is red push with my 9905. It's fairly subtle, and can be somewhat masked with color/tint adjustments. But after running the Avia contrast/brightness setup, then the color/tint setup, and then looking at the color decoder test, I found the red decoder to be off. It's apparent on programming with too-intense reds and yellows, weird hues of blue (too purple) and maroon.

My previous Philips servicer wouldn't even return calls, though, and two non-authorized servicers who visited (with Philips' okay) didn't want to get into trying to fix something that isn't distinctly 'broken'. (Incidentally, an expert at Philips' service center who helped pinpoint the sync glitch, concluded the wide-band video board, previously exchanged, was the most likely board at fault. I concluded the same after tracing the signal flow with my CD-ROM service manual.)

You can read about red push ad nauseam by visiting here , and searching "red push." Most of the discussion is in the Mitsubishi section, notorious for the problem. There's a detailed summary/fix page with before/after 'fix' images. This Mitsubishi fix, though, involves inserting a few resistors on the red-component input jack. That's a good fix for HDTV-ready sets, correcting all external inputs, but not suitable for all-in-one sets like the 9905, of course.

Anyway, one of these days I plan on attempting a similar fix internally on my 9905, changing a resistor value on the wide-band video amp. No doubt tedious, but it couldn't match the run-around I got from Philips trying to correct apparent red push. There seem to be lots of similar run-around tales from Mitsubishi owners. Despite all this, though, and after a year of use, I still find HDTV and Genesis-line-doubled images on the 9905 (everything) to be amazingly sharp and enjoyable. Apparent red-push problems crop up annoyingly only when certain colors are present prominently.

--John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 07-02-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Warning...I'm neither familiar with your dvd player or your TV, so I don't know what their connection options really are.

I looked at some brochures on the web about your dvd player, it doesn't seem to output a progressive signal. This would make be beleive you want a scaler if you want to feed your TV a "hi def" signal. Also looking at the brochures on the web, it appears that with your Philips 64PH9905 the DVD, external HD, and VGA inputs must be configured in the user menu for the type of connector used. Alternatively, send your interlaced component connection to the dvd input.

Component and RGB are two different types of signals. RGB is red, green, blue. Component, sometimes called yuv, is an arithemetic translation of RGB. There are devices (called transcoders) that do this translation.

RGB itself comes in 3 flavors. One has h sync & v sync on green (sometimes called RGsB), one has the two syncs on a single cable (sometimes called RGBs), and some have the syncs on two separate cables (sometimes called rgbhv). Host "rgb" signals are 5 wire rgbhv. If you need to translate between the two, there are units that do that.

BTW, most "component" out of DVD players is interlaced component out, unless specifically called a progressive out signal.

------------------

Alex

[This message has been edited by work permit (edited 07-01-2001).]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hello all,

You cannot run a progressive scan DVD player with component outputs directly into an RGBHV input on a TV.

You need a transcoder that will take the component signal and turn it into an RGBHV signal. As it happens, I have one, made by Extron (CVC 200), and I would sell it to you if you'd like. (They are very expensive new.) I have used this setup for a year on a 65903 Mitsubishi and can defintely say that it works very well. (I recently purchsed a Toshiba 65H80, which has component inputs for HD so I don't need the Extron box any morel.

Hope that covers any confusion, and let me know if anyone wants to buy the box.

Doug

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Good points, Alex and Doug. As I noted in my first 'graph, the 9905 has two sets of component inputs. One, in the DVD input section, is for interlaced DVD (into a Genesis doubler circuit). The other is a combination component/RGBHV input, for progressive signals, although it'll accept a 1080i input from a DBS STB. My DVD machine, the Toshiba SD-6200, has one set of component outputs, with progressive or interlaced outputs selected by a remote-control switch. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 07-02-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.