AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would this be a better connection for my projector NEC 1035, my projector has one component,one S-video and two VGA inputs, I have viewed dvd movies via my laptop onto the screen and found it looked cleaner than s-video but than again I,m a hopless judge I have found two products rgb to vga and they act as a line doubler as well, and not very expensive http://www.allthings.com.au/Monitors/videotovga.htm http://www.magenta-research.com/cabl..._adapters.html

I,m asking anyone would this improve my image even a slight improvement..

·
Registered
4 Posts
The problem is when you convert from an NTSC signal to VGA, you still have the effective resolution of the NTSC signal. Your NTSC signal is ???x480, ??? depending upon the source (Up to 640, I think). When that is converted to VGA, assuming 800x600, you have to "stretch" the picture to fill the screen, which will distort the image (for several reasons). You also always lose a little of the original image when you process the data. I would assume that you would have no improvement of the image quality, since you are starting with a lower resolution signal. If you skipped S-Video and just used your computer, then you would get the full resolution, assuming your media has the full resolution of your computer screen. In summary: If you have an S-Video source, there is no reason to change it to VGA, since you will lose more than you gain. Use the S-Video input. If you have a VGA source, us that.

In my system, I am using S-video for DVD and VCR, and the VGA input for my computer. I found a VGA Splitter/Amplifier that allows me to use both my monitor and the projetor, and helps the signal make it the 50' over to my projector. The image quality could be better, but it works pretty well.

That's my 1.5 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
The first product is a cheapie line doubler. I'd guess its no better than the one built into the 1035. The second is a converter from 3 channel rgb to 5 channel rgb (not really relevant here).

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the NEC's native resolution is 1024x768. Ideally, if you did buy a scaler/doubler, you would want it to output this resolution (this is probably the resolution you were running on your laptop). These units, however, are not cheap. For DVD playback, the cheapest way to achieve the highest quality DVD playback is using a home computer as a DVD player + scaler/doubler. This is what you have just done with your laptop.

------------------

Alex

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.