AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can i find one of these? I was hoping from something from Leviton, but no luck it seems...

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Do you want it in the form of a DB-15 or RCA or BNC connectors? There is no difference save the connector between RGBHV and VGA. Liberty Wire, Middle Atlantic Products have VGA wall plates and any systems contracting publication will have tons of ads for companies making VGA wall plates. Leviton makes residential products so they will not have a VGA wall plate but you could make one from 5 BNC keystones. This might not be a bad idea as many of the pro VGA plates are stamped from metal and may not come in the designer colors your wife might prefer.

Alan

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wouldn't an RGB plate need 3 connectors and VGA 1? Then how can i use a VGA plate for RGB? I'd rather buy one though - white's fine, and i don't have a wife :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
d!abolic,

Calrad has a decora style dual VGA insert.

Goto to the Calrad website and check out the November 2002 New product Brochure.

Take care,

iateav8

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I'm still not sure whether i need RGB or VGA though. I haven't bought a DLP projector yet, but i will next year. That's what this is for.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't get any of that :)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
There is no difference between the signal on a DB-15 ( VGA ) and RGBHV. They are two formats for the same signal and other than the connector are interchangeable. You can run 5 coax to your projector ( RGBHV ) and later purchase an adapter to turn the coax into a DB-15. You could, of course, solder the cables to a DB-15 if you have a penchant for punishment.

Alan

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So to be safe, i should run a DVI cable and a 5 coax? What's a 5 coax again?

·
Registered
51 Posts
How about cutting holes in a wall plate for a DVI cable or 5 holes for RGBHV and simple passing one set of cables thru the plate to the projector or monitor? I'm planning on doing this and will minimize problems with multiple connectors and wire segments -- one wire from headend to monitor.

CCJ

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
There are a few forms of DVI but if you wish to run a HDCP ( copy protected ) digital signal as opposed to analog ( RGBHV or VGA ) from some sort of High definition device like a ASTC tuner or DVD player then you will need a DVI connector. If you wish to run that signal as an analog signal you can do so in the form of a ( component ( Y, Pb, Pr ), RGBHV, or VGA. You can use a wall plate ( although I do not know of a wall plate for DVI at present ) or not use a wall plate. Component is a different video format from RGBHV and VGA. RGBHV and VGA are different connectors for the same video format.

Run a DVI cable-remember there is a limit of 16.5 feet to that cable by specification ( although you can successfully obtain a signal with up to 50 ft of wire ) and 5 coax and a CAT 5 to the projector. The CAT5 is for communications, IR or RS-232 to the projector

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.