AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the typical and maximum length video cables that you guys use to feed you pj's ?

With a 100Mhz plus bandwith, I'm sceptical that my el-cheapo video card can drive the 15 feet or so of cable that I need to go between the HTPC and the projector.

Does anybody use a buffer amp?

I'd kind of like to have a little pcb with a 15HD connector that plugs straight into my video card, has buffer amps in the middle and BNC's on the other side - just to be sure that I'm not loosing due to cable capacitance.

Please advise and comment !

Regards,

Barry

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Barry

My run is about 25 foot. It is about to get about 15 foot shorter. I am running a Radeon 9000 but that is also about to change. Don't know which ATI card it will be but you can be sure that it will have the Mike Parker mod. With Mike's mod, you don't need nosteenkingbufferamp. Watched "Treasure of Sierra Madre" last night.

Walt

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
with most graphics cards (unmodified) you will not see any type of loss over 15 feet, even over 25-35 feet. THe problem that exists is due to the card initially not having enough to really drive the signal. Or even worse, the signal is sub par straight out of the card. Unfortunately the only way you can know is to put a scope on the output and then measure the signal. then you can know what (if anything) you need to do to correct

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
On a couple of installs I was involved in, we 75- and 125-foot cable runs, respectively from computers to projectors. We used little Extron interfaces between the SGIs and the Barcos, and that distance was no problem at all. Of course, the Extron RGBHV cables looked like garden hose...

SC

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

The ideal portable solution is an Extron device like a 202xi, with two RGBHV analog inputs, variable gain and peaking controls, and enough output to deliver 900mv across 50+ feet of coax; if you intend to acquire one PC graphics card and keep it some while then the MP mod is the other best solution.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I'm driving a 30' long Canare V5-5CFB (5 line RG6 coax in a garden hose bundle) with a Radeon 9500 MP-1 modification. Did both the cable upgrade and the card at the same time, but between the two the image is better than a 3' cable I had between the projector and my stock Radeon 7500.

Tim's got the point that given the price of the MP-1, if you can stick with a single video card for a while, its a good option. (Damn good in my opinion, thanks Mike!) Otherwise, a tuneable Extron device is a good choice, so you can control the signal. But properly configuring that would require a scope I would think.

BTW Barry, the Mike Parker mod is pretty much exactly what you are describing you want, its just soldered onto the video card rather than being an external adapter you plug into the HD-15 port.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Another vote for the MP-1. My run is about 45' ( 5 times RG 59) with Radeon 9700Pro & MP-1 and the image is better than Radeon 7200 & Barco's VGA interface (which is similar to the Extron device).

Rittberg

·
Registered
93 Posts
am using a Barco Vga interface which has a hd 15 input & outputs hd15 & RGBHV with gain using 15' Canare RG59 cables. suits my needs perfectly as my monitor & pj is hooked-up to the interface, sure beats switching cables between pj & monitor at the htpc. PQ definetely better than a vga to vga.

Regards

Lee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.