AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my 1020q to work properly with my pc but I'm having some trouble and I think powerstrip may be the real problem. Or at least my setup of it :)

I know the 1020q doesn't do progressive and that it needs to use 15.75khz scan rate but whenever i set it to output @ 15.75 (or anywhere around that number including 16) it drops the refresh rate to 30(ish) as well. The problem is that the picture looks a LOT worse than using the composite tv output from my dvd card. I'm using a Hollywood+ dvd card, vga to rgbhv cable and a geforce video card. The output from the geforce goes through a passthrough cable to the H+, which is then connected to the 1020.

I haven't tried it without the H+ cause my computer wouldn't really be able to play dvds properly without it. It's getting old :)

Any ideas? Perhaps I've just totally set PS up incorrectly? The picture is quite watchable via the composite input but I'd really love to be able to use the RGBHV inputs to improve the picture.

Please try to refrain from advising me to upgrade my projector :)

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Hi Kristof, I've never run Powerstrip that slow. Can you tell it to interlace? That should bring the refresh rate up.

Also, there *are* DVD players with RGBHV outputs out there.

Cary

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are? I've been running searches, but I can't seem to find any.

You can tell it to interlace but it seems to alter both H and V freq settings too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey Kristof,

I've got a 1020 that I tried getting going with pStrip - didn't have *any* luck - but it sounds like you've gotten farther along than I did. I couldn't even get it to sync - I always had a "split screen" effect, even when I tried forcing it at 15.75 and interlaced.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the "split screen" happens when trying to run @ 60hz/32khz.

The way I was able to get it down to 15.75khz the first time (so I could actually save the resolution) was to place the mouse cursor on the down increment scroll button next to the khz box (while connected to my computer monitor), then hot swap the cable into the projector, then hold down the left mouse button till it dropped far enough to see an image.

Quite a tedious thing to do, but it worked - looked terrible though.

Any way that huge remote control port can be modded to accept an RGsV or svideo signal? Any way to get a non composite signal into a 1020 without the remote?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it's not a dedicated HTPC, it's my "everything" computer and yes, it did cost a lot more than the 1020 - I got it for free :)

But which transcoder? I can't find anyone in Australia that deals in Extron boxes for starters. Besides I know I can get the remote for about the price of a cheap dvd player. I'm ooking for a much simpler (and cheaper) solution if there is one. Unless of course I could track down a transcoder here in AU going VERY cheap I'd probably buy the remote, but I dont want to.

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
One DVD player with RGBHV output is the Skyworth 1050. It's macrovision free, region free, and has a VGA connector for it's output (in addition to Svideo).

The problem with this is that I believe the RGBHV (VGA) is only active when in progressive scan mode (31.5KHz).

Cary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.