AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is driving me nuts: My HTPC setup worked fine under Vista. After upgrading to Win7 (clean install) it will no longer send a video signal to my CRT projector. Details:
  • Asus P5N7A-VM MB
  • using onboard Nvidia GeForce 9300 video (no other video cards installed)
  • VGA port connected to RGBHV projector input, using 5-bnc breakout cable
  • 1024 x 768, 60Hz resolution

Again - THIS WORKED PERFECTLY under Vista. Under Win7, at boot you see the BIOS/POST screen on the projector, then the "Starting Windows" animation, and then - boom, nothing. It goes blank; the projector indicates "no video signal".

I've tried multiple Nvidia drivers: current Win7 standalone drivers, current Win7 nForce drivers, and the original Vista nForce drivers that came with the motherboard (the driver that worked fine under Vista). All had the same problem - the problem doesn't appear to be specific to a particular Nvidia driver.

If I connect a regular VGA monitor instead of the projector, everything works fine under Win7. Once booted with a regular monitor, I can even switch the VGA cable to my projector and it will work - but only temporarily until it's either rebooted or you click the "detect monitor" button under Screen Resolution. Than it's back to no output.

This leads me to believe it's a problem with EDID/DDC information and Win7. I would expect that a CRT Projector connected via RGBHV would be detected as "Generic NON-PNP Monitor", since there's no DDC channel in this case. That's how it worked under Vista, but under Win7 it's not detected AT ALL.

I've ordered a ConnectPro EDID/DDC emulator adapter - in the hopes that will make Win7 at least think a "regular" monitor is connected. But that won't arrive for a week or so. Other ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimre /forum/post/18300226

After upgrading to Win7 (clean install) it will no longer send a video signal to my CRT projector.

FWIW I connected a Win 7 32-bit PC to my NEC 6PG+ projector, and had no video connection issues. PC has a GeForce 8100 IGP. PJ is identified as a generic Non-PnP monitor, and the connection is VGA HD15 to RGBHV 5xBNC.

Quote:
I've tried multiple Nvidia drivers: current Win7 standalone drivers, current Win7 nForce drivers, and the original Vista nForce drivers that came with the motherboard (the driver that worked fine under Vista)..

(I hate it when people say they are are using the "current" version. The software has revision/version numbers for a reason. "Current" is valid only for a specific point in time.)

The GeForce 190.xx driver (that came from the ASrock site) has several regressions in the custom resolution menu. But the latest 196.21 driver for Win7 from the nVidia site seems to have fixed those bugs I encountered. But with either version of GeForce driver, the PJ always had video at 1024x768 and 1280x960 resolutions.

BTW the nForce drivers drivers you mention are for the southbridge chip. The northbridge chip, that has the IGP, needs the GeForce driver. If you were actually changing just the nForce driver, then you really didn't change the IGP driver that could affect the video output.

Have you tried booting into "safe mode" (which should use the MS VGA driver)?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z /forum/post/18303798

FWIW I connected a Win 7 32-bit PC to my NEC 6PG+ projector, and had no video connection issues. PC has a GeForce 8100 IGP. PJ is identified as a generic Non-PnP monitor, and the connection is VGA HD15 to RGBHV 5xBNC.

(I hate it when people say they are are using the "current" version. The software has revision/version numbers for a reason. "Current" is valid only for a specific point in time.)

The GeForce 190.xx driver (that came from the ASrock site) has several regressions in the custom resolution menu. But the latest 196.21 driver for Win7 from the nVidia site seems to have fixed those bugs I encountered. But with either version of GeForce driver, the PJ always had video at 1024x768 and 1280x960 resolutions.

BTW the nForce drivers drivers you mention are for the southbridge chip. The northbridge chip, that has the IGP, needs the GeForce driver. If you were actually changing just the nForce driver, then you really didn't change the IGP driver that could affect the video output.

Have you tried booting into "safe mode" (which should use the MS VGA driver)?

"Current" = whatever version was recommended by Nvidia's auto-detect utility. I don't remember the number offhand.

I had assumed that Nvidia's nForce drivers were a superset of Geforce - ie, network/storage/system stuff PLUS the GPU. You're saying that's not the case; they're separate. I will re-run my tests with different GeForce drivers then, to verify if there's any effect on video output.

Yes, I've booted into safe mode, with the default VGA driver. That works fine, which could indicate this problem is specific to Nvidia drivers. Or maybe it just indicates that PNP monitor detection is disabled in safe mode.

Thanks for the suggestsions.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got everything working now! Blue_z's tip about being more specific than just "current" was right on. I had previously used the auto-detect utility on Nvidia's web site, and it suggested 180.xx as the "current" version. I "assumed" this would be the most current version, but I was wrong! Ver 180 is quite old and exhibits this Win7 monitor-detect bug at the center of my post.

I don't believe installing nForce drivers vs. GeForce was an issue per se. On the Nvidia web site, it's pretty clear that the nForce driver install package *does* include the GPU driver as well. The problem was - their "latest" nForce driver package has an older GPU driver: ver 190.38. And that ver of the GPU driver still has this Win7 monitor detect problem.

So I manually downloaded & installed the latest 196.21 version (Geforce only install), and now it works fine. So it looks like Nvidia fixed whatever was wrong with their Win7 PNP monitor detection somewhere between ver 190.38 and ver 196.21.

Thanks again to blue_z for reminding me not to make assumptions about driver versions, and to be very specific when downloading & testing them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts