AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just received a Dish Network 6000 which has both RGBHV (5 wire) and component (3 wire) outputs, my Pioneer 710 HD monitor can take both. My question is:

which interface is better, RGBHV or component?

The answer is not that simple. Of course RGBHV seems better, but it depends on the nature of the video signal. I know that Dish sends video encoded in MPEG2. What I need to know is:

does the 6000 comvert the MPEG2 to RGBHV and then to component, or vice versa?

If the MEPEG2 goes to RGBHV first, then using the RGBHV output will incur less processing and will be by definition better, allowing the signal to bypass one stage of encoding and one stage of decoding. If the MPEG2 goes to component first then I would prefer to use the component output, thus allowing the superior decoder of the 710 do the decoding.

I don't care about price and I don't care about value or small differences, I want to know what is best. Like most of us here I can conjecture about how the MPEG is converted all day long, so I would appreciate answers from those who know for a fact how it is done. Thanks.

------------------

- Mark West

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Mark:

I can't answer your question regarding the DISH, but there have been other threads that there is no visible difference betweeen RGBHV and component. Part of the problem with tweaking HD signals is the lack of an HD test source. On the other hand why not just try both ways and see which looks better to you. That is the result you want, correct?

SMK

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Very cute member name. I wonder how many people know what RoyGBiv stands for?

As far as the question of RGB versus component, eventually that component signal has to be turned into RGB for the 3 guns that produce the image and they are RGB. Many feel that Component is just another step in the process so why not remove it.

Buttttt...as suggested, you should try both.

Lee

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
There is one advantage to component in some situations. It has to do with a digital projector's ability to vertically stretch a signal for use with an anamorphic lense such as the Panamorph or ISCO. Several projectors are capable of doing so (including my VT540), but, to the best of my knowledge, all of them require component input to do so.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Mark:

There is one other consideration: switching more than one HD input. There are some component switchers available, and a lot of newere better receivers have component switching. I haven't seen any RGBHV swtichers unless you use a computer style manual switch and a couple of breakout cables.

Lee:

I see you're from Lynbrook. I grew up in North Woodmere and used to race slot cars at a place in Lynbrook. (Boy, that dates me.)

SMK

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It all depends on your display. My CRT projector only accepts RGBHV so RGB is what I feed it. My 34" Sampo, contrary to what Gary Merson claimed, does have fulltime SVM processing on the component inputs, which destroys the "open window" effect. For that reason I use the RGB input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.