Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got an Infocus X1 inhouse right now. The image is beautiful. I wish I could keep it. However, I am badly subject to the rainbows in certain situations. I found that I can't see even the tiniest trace of the rainbows on the Samsung DLP RPTVs in the store. But the X1 I see rainbows on white, or on any scene with a lot of contrast. On scenes without a lot of contrast I can't see it even if I try. But on any scene with contrast I see rainbows everywhere - especially any scenes with white.

I noticed that most of the Samsung DLPs had a RGBRGB color wheel (either 2.5x or 4x??). With me seeing rainbows on white stuff, I speculate that I'd be better off with an RGBRGB projector over an RGBW

I'm willing to invest some more $$ in a higher-speed wheel projector. I can return the X1 to Circuit City this month (and I will do so at some point). But I'm looking for a projector with an RGBRGB wheel, preferably.

I did see that the Optoma H30 has a 4x? RGBRGB wheel.

And I know from lurking/reading that the upcoming Infocus 4805 projector has a 4x wheel. Anyone have experience with the H30? Should I wait for the 4805?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just received an h30 and it trumps the x1 in every aspect. I was using and x1 and built a silver screen to boost the brightness and colors the h30 gives a better picture on a matte white screen then the x1 ever could on the silver. Now i can't really tell you to wait or not the h30 should be slightly cheaper but the new infocus will have a dvi port. Personally i like 4:3 projectors better and like the ability to add a panamorph later.

Oh yeah another note my dad and i were bothered by rainbows on the x1, i dont see them at all on the h30 even when trying (shifting focus ect). Im hoping my dad will come over and test it this weekend to see if he sees them anymore. I dont think he will =). I posted some more in depth in the h30 forum.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just finished reading the H30 thread. Personally I think I prefer a 4:3 as well - I have a lot of 4:3 sources (most anime, videogames).

I think if the 4805 was going to be instore before by 30 day return time on my X1 to Circuit City was up, I would just trade up to the 4805. But I would have to return the X1 and then wait to get my hands on a 4805.

I don't really like the masking on the H30 - the image jumps upwards for 16:9 stuff? I was a little confused on the masking issue.

Plus, I couldnt find info on how much replacement bulbs are...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
the dt 200 is an rgbrgb projector 5x wheel

·
Registered
476 Posts
the masking will be disabled with the new firmware update coming out in a couple of weeks. I think the masking is a little funky and will be sending mine in to receive the update. It displayes 16:9 on the bottom of the chip so think of a 4:3 image with the top portion black and the bottom portion creating a 16:9 image. It shifts up and becomes slightly biger when you turn on 16:9 native. It will still fit within a 16:9 screen though.

If you prefer 4:3 i would say go with the h30. The image is beautifully on this machine.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip. I checked out the Sharp Dt200 but it looks a little too pricey for me (but it looks like a good unit).

I notice that Dell carries the H30 - that's good and bad. Good because I could probably get a good deal on it with some coupons. Bad because Dell is generally a little slow shipping stuff out.

If someone can explain the masking thing on the H30 better to me I might go ahead and order it on Friday when my tax refund comes in, and take back the X1 when it arrives.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear the scaler is pretty good on the H30? I liked the X1's scaling (at least, Zelda via s-video looked tolerable). I see the H30 uses Pixelworks for upscaling/deinterlacing - the X1 uses Pixelworks and Faroudja instead.

I've got Faroudja in my Panny CP72 DVD changer, so I'm not too worried about that - scaling/deinterlacing is going to be needed mostly for video games.

I probably wouldn't mind the masking too much at this point (still shooting on a white wall), but I like knowing I can send it in for the firmware upgrade is cool.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I haven't checked my xbox yet, i will tonight however watching movies the scaler works beautifully. I used xbox through svideo and i couldnt find any scaler/deinterlacer problems with dvd play. Guitarman has commented alot about it in the h30 thread.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's the video games I'm worrying about scaling - I've got a SNES, NES, Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis, PS2, Gamecube and a few I'm forgetting.

Thanks for the input. Dell's running some good coupons right now. Looks like I will give the H30 a try.

How much do bulbs cost? I did see that Economy mode is 3000 hours, but I couldn't find any info on replacement bulbs, or any vendors with replacement bulbs available.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Where do you see the Dell coupons. I only see 5% off on projectors.

My opinion, the H30 produces such a top notch picture that I'd worry about another budget projector being any better. Yes the resolution is less than a Marantz and HT1000 or Sharp but the picture looks almost as good and maybe in some ways better, like brightness and this luminated effect it has. Colors are very rich and rainbows are just about gone. If you can find a rainbow it's a fleeting spec. Nothing like the massive rainbows of a slow speed presentation projector.

Plus I see the ability to mold this projector into a 800X600 4.3 as a big plus over the X2. Yes the X2 will hv DVI but you'll get a super picture now with a good Farouja chipped DVD player.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's currently a 15% off Small Business running if you can get your hands on one of them.

I'm not concerned with resolution - I have an HD OTA receiver but I will probably ebay it after the superbowl. I just want DVDs and videogames. I'm after contrast levels & no rainbows. :)

I still can't find anywhere with bulbs for it, though.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
greenmonkey,

if you are after contrast and no rainbows, then then any rgbw projector isn't going to cut it. rgbrgb is the only way to go.

some of these are:

plus piano 3100, 3200

optoma h30

sharp dt 200

and in a few months the screenplay 4805

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm fairly certain I am going to go ahead and order the H30 tomorrow from Dell. I want the 4805 for the extra inputs, and I wouldn't mind widescreen, but with the nebulous release pricing and dates, I don't want to be projectorless for too long (I already tore apart all my a/v stuff and moved around the living room). I guess if I get the H30 in hand and the 4805 is better, I can always return it to Dell and order the 4805.

I'm pretty sure the W in the RGBW is causing my rainbows, as I see nil in scenes without white in them and darker scenes, and I couldn't see any rainbows on the 11,000 Marantz 5x DLP I demoed. I'd get a 5x projector if I had the cash to blow. I'm going to get the 4x RGBRGB and pray that I don't see any rainbows when it arrives! I only saw rainbows on the Samsung RPTVs when I REALLLY tried hard - and they were very brief. Another 5x source if what I have read is correct. I hope 4x is close enough to 5x to make it behave similiarly.

I don't want to do LCD as I never liked the way blacks look on the LCD RPTVs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.