AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a used 4-1 Extron RGBS switcher to automatically switch YPbPr signals. The only problem is, the Extron uses the S channel for autoswitching purposes, and its S inputs will NOT pass a video signal. According to the manual, which I downloaded from Extron's website, in order to autoswitch YPbPr sources, you need to use a T connector to split the Y channel and feed one of the splits through the S input. I realize that anytime you split a signal some degradation will occur, but I'm wondering if splitting the Y channel like that will result in a perceptible difference in picture quality. The cable connecting the switcher to the display will most likely be about 3-4 feet.

I'd buy the 2-1 Inline switcher, but I need to switch 3 sources.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Shouldn't really be a problem. Make sure the video (Y input) is last in line, If you keep the extra cable less than a couple of feet long, it won't affect the picture.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just wondering... Since I'll only be using the S inputs on the switcher for autoswitching, is there any reason I can't just feed any signal into them (say a composite video signal or even an audio signal) as long as they turn on and off in unison with the corresponding YPbPr signal?

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don't really know the internal circuit of the detector circuit, I'm assuming just a level detector with a relay driver.

Composite video would work just fine. Not sure about audio. If the output is latched, that is, if once it detects a signal the relay stays activated until another input comes alive, it might work, but even then I doubt it. Audio signals have tremendous range, and may be quite a bit below the 1 Volt peak to peak signal video provides, so I doubt it would be reliable.

You might have to wait for a commercial to have enough audio level to make it switch!

Bob Smith

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again, Bob. As far as the audio signal goes, I was thinking more of something like white noise or a test tone, although I'm not sure how I'd implement that! I guess I was mainly just trying to confirm that any consistent signal that's turned on and off at the same time as the video source would work for autosync purposes...

·
Registered
801 Posts
It would be nice if video switchers had a sixth 75 Ohm input, so you could switch the digital audio that is usually associated with HD sources.

Bob Smith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.