AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When hooking up my Sony HD satellite receiver to my Hi-def Display, will the component input look as good as the RGBVH input? Are these inputs the same quality with different syncing? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I doubt you'd notice any difference.

Televisions are inherintly RGB devices so everything gets converted to RGB before display.

YPrPB (YUV) has better bandwidth on luminance than RGB (different color space model).

All material is converted to YUV before MPEG encoding.

So, all told it doesn't matter in which case, I'd opt for YUV since it's only three cables instead of as much as five for RGBHV.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Eventually all signals are converted to RGB.

Either your STB has to do the conversion or PJ.

Find out which does a better job.

For long run cables, component will degrade less.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Also, depending on the set, the signal may be processed internally either in YUV *or* RGB. It will always end up RGB, but settings such as brightness/contrast/tint are easier to perform on YUV.

I agree with others -- same same

-Jon

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
For what it's worth, my NEC LT100 DLP projector looks better with both DVD and HDTV using the components inputs v. RGB.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The RGBVH input would come in handy if you are building a HTPC. You can avoid using a VGA-component transcoder.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Note that there are reported problems with the picture being shifted to the right when using the Sony's RGBHV output while the component outs work fine. Also, 1080i/480i variable mode is only available via the component outs so thats the way to go with the HD100.

Tony

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Some slight mis-information above.

1) Component Y is the same bandwidth as the G signal. The RY and BY have less bandwidth than their R & B counterparts.

2) The distance limitation is the same for component or RGBHV. Aagin it's because there is no difference in bandwidth for the Y or G channel.

aka Glimmie

Mgr, Systems Engineering

Laser Pacific Media Corp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.