AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DVICO M5000 in my main living room, and recently transferred all my videos, music, and photos to a 1TB QNAP NAS. Now I don't need a PC to host these files, nor any storage inside the media player, it is working really well (after initial setup issues).

Now thinking of getting an other networkable media player for another roo, to access the same media "pool" on the NAS.

Thnking of a Rhapsondy N35. Seems based upon same platform as DVICO M5000, and I don't need HDMI, and it would be fine, but I have a few questions.

re networking, does it have WiFi built in, if not do I need a wireless USB dongle to attach it to wireless network

Does it play ISO image files of DVDs (my DVICO M5000 media player does)

Does it support NFS network file format or only SMBA (the M5000 supports both), I need that for it play large files off the NAS.

Thanks

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have and have used a Rapsody N35 for several years now. It does support iso files and uses SMB. I don't know about NFS. It also uses NDAS , a propitiatory hardware & software protocol from Ximeta. I stream from a NDAS disk (a hard drive attached to the network that has Ximeta's chip installed) to the N35. My dvd files are 4 ->8 GB ISOs. Its screen control is very basic for selecting files to be played. It has limited support due to its age. Last update was Aug 2008. see http://www.divxtech.com/support_N35.html I have had few problems to date with the unit. Note; Daboda HMC and N35 use the same firmware.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

The NFS is important, i want to share the media that my DVICO M5000 accesses on my NAS, and certainly thr DVICO had problems until I enablked NFS sharing on the NAS, and set the network share disk configuration at the media player end to NFS. SMB gave problems with DVD ISO files freezing and some not even loading at all. Eveyrthing is 100% tickety boo with NFS

Wirelles is also important, I have a network point in the room in question, but it is the other side of room from TV so I really don't want a network cable trailing across the room, also I have very good wireless signal strength from my router so if the N35 can work wireless that would really help.

anyone else have anything to share?

Thanks

Guy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts