AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm unable to hear some of these and am in need of your opinions.

I've had ribbon-itis for some time now, but I got a great deal on some dome towers last year, that I couldn't pass up. But now I think it's time I get my ribbons

Budget ~2k and in order of preference, I've narrowed it down to these,

Legacy Studio HD (leaning heavily towards these)

Monitor Audio GX100 (heard and love them)

Gallo Nucleus 3.1 (USED)

Ascend Sierra 2

I'm 70/30 movies and have a subwoofer (next year's upgrade) A matching center is a cost concern, but I'm willing to put it off for a

bit. I have plenty of amplification, so no concern driving any of these. Surrounds are Mirage MX, I'm happy with them. The room is

large but the Lp is only 15x14 I've been concerned about off-axis, but think all of these will do a good job.

Here are some that I've crossed off, but could be convinced to reconsider,

GoldenEar Triton 7

GoldenEar Aeon3

Arx A5

ML Motion xx

I welcome your opinions

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
There is a thread for the Ascends and a user forum on their website - suggest you check them both out for more input on the 2s. I haven't read a negative owner comment yet, website also includes measurements both on and off axis. Good luck, whatever I bought without hearing first I would want to be sure to have return window.

·
Registered
152 Posts
There's not a lemon in that fruit basket so you aren't going to be disappointed whichever one you choose. Of those, I've only heard (and own) Sierra 2's, but I don't think it's possible for them to be out significantly outperformed at anywhere near their price.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj325is  /t/1525598/ribbon-speakers-2k-monitor-audio-legacy-gallo-ascend#post_24562431

There's not a lemon in that fruit basket so you aren't going to be disappointed whichever one you choose. Of those, I've only heard (and own) Sierra 2's, but I don't think it's possible for them to be out significantly outperformed at anywhere near their price.
That's the boat I'm in. The Sierra's are the least expensive, the GX100 the most and the Studio HD is right in between. I'm leaning towards the Legacy because of the 8" woofer and I think they will fill the room better. Plus they really look

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1525598/ribbon-speakers-2k-monitor-audio-legacy-gallo-ascend#post_24564610

If you really have a burning desire for ribbons, go to your nearest Magnepan dealer and audition these:

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_16
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure they sound great, they're certainly well regarded. But the front wall is only 6ft long with another 6ft angled wall that has a bar top that's just over 40" high, so I can steal about 2ft for a total of 8ft in the front, as long as the speakers no more 40" tall and ~8" wide. I would love some ML ESL's but they don't fit either
I've thought about changing the room around but that's not practical...WAF lol

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete  /t/1525598/ribbon-speakers-2k-monitor-audio-legacy-gallo-ascend#post_24562479

That's the boat I'm in. The Sierra's are the least expensive, the GX100 the most and the Studio HD is right in between. I'm leaning towards the Legacy because of the 8" woofer and I think they will fill the room better. Plus they really look
In your sized room, I don't think any of the speaker will have a problem filling it. I know the Sierra-2's won't.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/1525598/ribbon-speakers-2k-monitor-audio-legacy-gallo-ascend#post_24565146

In your sized room, I don't think any of the speaker will have a problem filling it. I know the Sierra-2's won't.
That's good to hear
So sonically, I can't go wrong with any of them.

There's a Legacy dealer a couple hours away, I should just take a ride up there this weekend.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1  /t/1525598/ribbon-speakers-2k-monitor-audio-legacy-gallo-ascend#post_24565531

This right here... I had these,but sent them back for the Electromotion ESL's that have an incredible sound stage..But the RX8's are prefect for your situation.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/Monitor-Audio-Silver-Series-6-Floorstanding-Speaker/productinfo/MRSS6/EGLSBLK/#.Uz3SufldVy4
Those would be perfect, if they had the ribbon tweeter... But the GX200 plays in a league I'm not prepared to join. I listened to the full line up a year ago, when I first started wanting ribbons. The PL's bleeeew my mind!!! So much so that I couldn't pull the trigger on the GX because NOW I had to have the PL's LoL and so the story goes on... That's kind of the reason I don't do too much auditioning in showrooms... I always upsell myself
LoL

·
Banned
324 Posts
PL's ?

·
Banned
324 Posts
That's what I thought. Those are pretty expensive.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Here ya go. At 2 grand it's right in your wheelhouse and with likely the cleanest, best measured/reported specs you can find. http://philharmonicaudio.com/folio-me/html/Phil%20Pages/philslim_jr.html

They'll fit your space with grace and the reviews on everything associated with Dennis Murphy are positive (or better!). He's a great speaker designer. Also, for $200 more you can get awesome quality cabinets built by SalkSound.

No matter which speakers you want to select, you owe it to yourself to try to audition the kit in your own home. Look for generous return privileges in case you don't like 'em.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mudslide,

Those are very interesting indeed. I spent some time on their site along with the Salk site and the threads here. I like the three way design of the slim Jr's but I'm not crazy about the looks. I thought about the monitors and concluded that they're right there with the Sierra 2's but without the RAAL tweeter. So I tried to find out what I could about the Fountek tweeter but find couldn't much that told me "these are it"... Seeing as the RAAL are getting such rave reviews and since the Sierra 2's are in my budget, I figured that would be the best bet. Of course I could be wrong

As for auditioning at home... well that's a WAF problem for me. Akin to going for a swim in the Everglades, you know what's in there...LoL, I definitely prefer to ask for forgiveness than permission, I'll take 3-5 days in the dog house over swimming with gators everytime

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete  /t/1525598/ribbon-speakers-2k-monitor-audio-legacy-gallo-ascend#post_24566828

Mudslide,

Those are very interesting indeed. I spent some time on their site along with the Salk site and the threads here. I like the three way design of the slim Jr's but I'm not crazy about the looks. I thought about the monitors and concluded that they're right there with the Sierra 2's but without the RAAL tweeter. So I tried to find out what I could about the Fountek tweeter but find couldn't much that told me "these are it"... Seeing as the RAAL are getting such rave reviews and since the Sierra 2's are in my budget, I figured that would be the best bet. Of course I could be wrong

As for auditioning at home... well that's a WAF problem for me. Akin to going for a swim in the Everglades, you know what's in there...LoL, I definitely prefer to ask for forgiveness than permission, I'll take 3-5 days in the dog house over swimming with gators everytime

Hahaaaa....I'm with you on the WAF thing. My missus verbalizes support for my audio addiction...but I also always get ... THE LOOK!

I've been a huge fan of the RAAL ever since I heard my first one in 2009. The Fountek is no slouch. But the RAAL is incrementally sweeter, IMO. By way of complete transparency here....I own a pair of Phil 2's and dearly love them. They easily replaced a pair of $6,000 Aerial Acoustic 7B speakers. I have 'carefully' A/B'ed Salk and Ascend designs in years past...and while I have a favorite, you can't go wrong with either. Jim/Dennis and Dave both do a great job with their designs. (And if you opt for standmounts, don't forget to add the cost of stands in your comparisons.)

Since the eyeball test is likely as important as sound quality in most purchases (after price, natch), I'd say go with what the boss approves!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide  /t/1525598/ribbon-speakers-2k-monitor-audio-legacy-gallo-ascend#post_24567422

I've been a huge fan of the RAAL ever since I heard my first one in 2009. The Fountek is no slouch. But the RAAL is incrementally sweeter, IMO. By way of complete transparency here....I own a pair of Phil 2's and dearly love them. They easily replaced a pair of $6,000 Aerial Acoustic 7B speakers. I have 'carefully' A/B'ed Salk and Ascend designs in years past...and while I have a favorite, you can't go wrong with either. Jim/Dennis and Dave both do a great job with their designs. (And if you opt for standmounts, don't forget to add the cost of stands in your comparisons.)

I have 3 Sierra-2's on the way, and I made my own stand for them with materials & parts around $50-$60. If you are handy with tools at all you could easily make your own and save $80 or so depending on what your budget is for them.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mudslide,

LoL, I know THELOOK
mine is always followed by this incredibly loud sound, that I can never make out
she's the loudest speaker I've got... 120db @ 20khz

Thanks for the heads up on the Fountek. I'll take a second look at the Philhamonitors, maybe save some money for those stands.

tdogroeder,

That's very cool, I wish I had the tools and skills to do that. I can never understand how some companies tout their stands as having a sonic effect on their speakers and get away with charging so much for them
I always see Sanus stands on sale ~$100 a pair, so That's prob the way I'll go.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts