AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , this question is for Rich ... but others can chip in ...

Rich, I think you have a Rogers HD stb ... and a Panny ...

1) How do you connect up to the Rogers box ? via DVI ?

2) Are there multiple connectors & I/O on the Rogers box ?

3) If so , which connection works best for SD and HD respectively?

I apologize if this has been covered , its just that I'm in a bit of a hurry cause I'm about to order a pdp and the Rogers HD hookup (-;

Thanks a ton,

jlsavs in Ottawa.

·
Registered
15,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jlsavs
Hi , this question is for Rich ... but others can chip in ...

Rich, I think you have a Rogers HD stb ... and a Panny ...

1) How do you connect up to the Rogers box ? via DVI ?

2) Are there multiple connectors & I/O on the Rogers box ?

3) If so , which connection works best for SD and HD respectively?

I apologize if this has been covered , its just that I'm in a bit of a hurry cause I'm about to order a pdp and the Rogers HD hookup (-;

Thanks a ton,

jlsavs in Ottawa.
My plasma is an older model with only one component input, one S-Video input and the digital connection is pretty much useless to me. Given this, and given some other quirky demands of my set-up I doubt it would be much use to you to go into detail.

I have two digital HD cable boxes on hand, one being my regular HD box (Scientific Atlanta). THis box outputs simultaneously through both it's S-Video and it's component outputs. That's great because I like to view non-HD NTSC channels via the S-Video output. That is because signals sent through the component output are put through an xtra digital conversion that I find softens the picture, for regular NTSC cable. Since the cable box is also hooked up via it's component cables too, when I want to watch Hi-Def I just switch over to my component input.

While my input options on my plasma are very limited (oh what I'd do for the current standard of two component inputs!) I'm helped out by the fact my AV receiver acts a video switcher, and it upconverts S-Video to component as well. (I also use a high-bandwidth video switcher...it's all quirky and complicated for reasons very few people need to duplicate).

The other box is one I've been trying out for a month. It's a digital Hi-Def recorder/cable receiver box. You know: "Pause live TV" kind of stuff. Unfortunately it does not output simultaneously from it's S-Video output. That means I have to watch everything via it's component output, which means all my analog channels go through an extra conversion. As well, my display locks on this box's component signal (which it sees as 1080i no matter what the program material), so I can't use the stretch/zoom modes of my TV.

A lot of people get along fine with these digital recording cable boxes but I'm not totally happy.

I'd go into more detail about my set-up, but I don't see how it would help you.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Rich ...

I'm a few days away from deciding on the new NEC VM5 or the Panny 7UY ... the nec comes with dvi ... so I'll have to factor in what dvi brings to the table as far as any improvemnt video quality ... its a VERY tough call ...

IYHO - do you think DVI brings a significantly better picture ?

BTW - Which version of the Scientific Atlanta box do you have ?

The current one (ie. the 3250) ?

cheers and thanks again,

jlsavs

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If its of any help, I have the SA 3250HD and Rogers. I'm using the component output on the STB, despite the fact that I have an HDMI-capable plasma (Pioneer 1110HD). The simple reason is I'm not going to fork over >$100 for a DVI/HDMI conversion cable (Yes, I spent 150 times that much on the panel itself, but I'm selectively cheap).

The HD over component is simply stunning; I cannot imagine how DVI would look any better (but I haven't tried). Unlike Rich, I'm happy with the NTSC over the component (I don't bother with the S-video). The early firmwares on the SA 3250HD had quite terrible SD. Subsequent firmware upgrades fixed a lot of the problems.

If it is not in poor taste to direct you to another forum website, you'll find out everything you possibily want to know about Rogers & the SA boxes at Digitial Home Canada.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...splay.php?f=37

There's also the HD equipment forum here on AV Science that has a lot of SA-related information.

Ross

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.