Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya Richard,

I know you are an early adopter, with a trail of units before setting your sights on some of the best PDPs on the market. I believe your Panasonic is a 42" 4UY commercial model, which has since undergone 2 generation changes.

Reportedly, the 5UY was a little different from the 4UY, and the 6UY now uses different phosphors and processing. I sure hope that it isn't a win something/lose something situation, though I fear it may well be. Does the later's Real Black Drive" system come at the cost of image realism, simplifying the picture to increase perceived contrast? Do the new phosphors give it an artificially enriched Kodacolor look? Hmmm... if so I may try to dig up an old stock 5UY instead.

Might seem strange from a fellow AVSer who usually prefers to trust his own eyes than what he reads, but I'll take your word on it over my own subjective impression, should you say that the latest 6UY is as good or better than the earlier units.

Some here have observed in other threads that 42" Panasonic demo consumer models didn't fare as well as the previous generation units. However, you're the guy who eats steamed rat and stuff, so you're sure ought to be able to tell the diff better than me. In all seriousness, I'd trust your innate comparative insight into the new units with respect to yours used for daily viewing at home. And I'll definitely await your green light before ordering mine, soon... :cool:

·
Registered
15,371 Posts
Brett,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. However, I ain't seen the 6UY. We backwoods Canucks don't get new products for many months after their introduction in the States. I believe the 6UY Pannys are due to show up sometime in the next month. I'm very curious as to the xtra contrast ratio and whether it is a noticeable improvement or not.

I've seen the 5UY all over the place, and as far as comparing it to the 4UY I'll never know for sure without having both at my place side by side. But I haven't been able to discern any difference in it's picture over the 4UY from demoing it in the stores. Another problem is store set-ups in general of course - I'm unlikely to see a plasma perform in a store as well as it would set up in my home. (In other words, the image I get at home is quite a bit better than any 5UY I've seen in the store).

There has been some talk of the fact that Panasonic went to a single scan system starting with the 5UY from the dual scan system of the 4UY. Particularly in some of the British AV forums, there was heated discussion that this meant a slight drop in performance (can't remember precisely how exactly...I think it probably affects the refresh rate at least).

Anyway, sorry I can't help out yet.

BTW, I finally got to test run my DVDs on the Panasonic 50" 5UY HD model. Holey friggin' cow! If I could afford it, I'd grab one in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
The main gripe has been flicker in 50hz systems, for the 5UY.

Other than that, virtually all the advertised technologies were unchanged since the PWD3UY.

Real Black Drive, AI (Adaptive Brightness Intenifier), 1024 gray shades, assymetric RGB cell structure, Gamma.

The 5UY added 3:2 pulldown and single scan

The 6UY adds more changes with Mach System, 4000:1 (ED panels only), 1536 gray shade (sampling),

The PHD6UY is the one that has a different cell structure - going with cross-ribbing which nets 5 surfaces per sub-pixel (increased surface area) to coat with phospher material, (similar to the Pioneer cells, except that Panny's are still assymetric RGB in size.

The new consumer lines, TH37PA20, TH37PX20, TH42PA20, TH42PX20 & TH50PX20 seem to be centered around a 10 bit processing system referred to as Acuity Core, although you have to go to the European site to see mention of it. The Acuity Core system transends CRT, LCD & Plasma lines.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hope to see reviews of 42 and especially 50 PX20's and 6UY's soon.

Something tells me that 50 is gonna rock the P-50's world (until the P-55).

If it also does SD worth a damn, we just might have something here.

elvis

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
FWIW, we have a 42" third-gen Panny and a 37" fifty-gen Panny. I have not run them side by side, and neither are used for any of their video processing prowess, except for scaling on the 37 (we have a DVDO iScan that went from the 42 to the 37, and the 42 now has a Faroudja). That is, both are fed via their PC inputs.

Frankly, the only difference in PQ that I possibly could notice is that the 37 may be a *hair* brighter than the 42.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Richard, not easy being so far from the panel makers. ;)

My main worry is a possible worsening of image characteristics due to their race to endlessly boost light output. After all, if we need to loosen our eyeballs from their sockets, we might as well stare into a spotlight. Movie watching isn't like Hard Rock where it helps to destroy your eardrums leaning on the concerthall loudspeaker: More isn't always better. :eek:

If the 4000:1 (850cdi?) gets its 33% announced increase without losing the previous 4UY and 5UY model image fidelity characteristics, great! If not, it is too high a price to pay for an eye-popping gimmick.

I would have preferred a 4UY or 5UY with properly implemented DVI input, hopefully this is it, with added bonus features and nothing lost?!? :confused:

Quote:
Originally posted by Brucer
The main gripe has been flicker in 50hz systems, for the 5UY.
Hi Brucer,

Thanks for the clear specifics on model changes. You're getting me worried now - as France is at 50Hz. What exactly does this do to the newer Panny panels? Do you have a link to those threads, or to the forums in question? TIA.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Rich H-

Are we to gather from your comments that you might have seen a plasma better than your 42 ED Panni at 480 or just larger? Might a 50HD unit actually perform better than a 42 ED at 480?

Please expound.

Desperate for a good read,

Lew

·
Registered
15,371 Posts
lewlew,

Check out my current thread on the Panasonic 50" plasma.

Based on my recent experience with that model, I'd take it over my 42" which the feeling that I'd be gaining more than I gave up...at least in terms of DVD performance, and certainly in terms of Hi-Def. I know the Panny 50" version doesn't look quite as good with NTSC cable/sat channels, though.

That said, it still can look quite good with NTSC - better than most 50" plasmas I've seen.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Brett-

The new generation series 6 (PWD6) and PA20 / PX20 series have a 'mode' on the European models called "Quasi-100hz" to address Pal & the flicker issue. I don't know exactly how it works, but on those models (42" ED) the gray scale drops back to 1024 shades, and 3000:1 (I think).

There is more discussions of this on the UK forum:

www.avforums.com

Joe Fernand and Liam McLaughlin (amoung others) are names to search on for info on these models.

Addendum:

One more point about the 5UY series. Gordon @convergent AV (an ISF calibrator) in the UK, had posted once that when feeding the signal thru an external device (scaler?) that in turn output 60hz to the PDP, flicker problems were alleviated. FWIW

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brucer,

Thanks to that link I've taken a gander at those concerns, and it seems that this won't be an issue for me: if the fake 100Hz scan rate messes up the picture I'll feed it through the Holo3DGraph in the HTPC and output it to DVI native rate.

Today I saw my first 6UY model in operation - a consumer model - which was god awful with a Pal DVD. The sales cleck said it was because their SCART cable from the DVD player was garbage, and that he'd seen one hooked up elsewhere and it was amazing. I popped in my best Pal test disc (I assumed the player was Region 2 only which limited the choices) and its reference quality image was rendered grainy, with crawlies and denatured colors. Seems they're not really trying to sell this item the way it is set up. :(

I don't know if it is due to the higher 4000:1 contrast ratio or not, but this newer unit's screen door effect bothers me more than the 5UY model did. I guess you can't really say when it is so poorly calibrated (for want of a better word).

Went across town to numerous other stores, and either they don't sell Panasonic, or they do but don't have a display model. One said they did, but that it was sitting in the back room and they'd hook it up when they find time. Reminds me of car dealerships here that expect you to buy a car without taking a test drive. :eek:

Cheers,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.