AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1391 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As those of you who follow the other Richmond, VA thread, it's gotten kind of long, so I thought I would start this thread to post primarily about the Comcast testing that some of us will be starting next week.

We can also use this thread to report other Richmond related HD stuff that is more current than the other thread since it was started over a year ago!!!

FYI, for reference purposes, here's the URL to the old thread.

Update (August 2004)

There is a newer thread about Richmond HDTV located here.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I can't believe that CBS that WTVR is broadcasting DTV today. I figured it would be days before any Richmond station was back on the air.

·
Registered
21 Posts
tmcck,

Like you, I was surprised that anybody was broadcasting OTA. I was picking up WTVR, but only enhanced picture - not real HD and I was not getting any sound. Was that the same for you?

Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have any of the beta testers gotten the boxes yet? Or did Isabel mess up the plans? Or are you restricted from speaking about it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I picked up my box and remote (no cables were supplied) on Monday, but I have no power yet. It's just sittin' on the floor waiting to be played with.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well I just got off the phone with Comcast, and they said no one is trained on the HD boxes yet, not even the "technical staff". They also told me I wasn't supposed to have the HD box yet. I explained to her about the whole testing thing, but she was clueless. Anyway, I'm going to call Kirby Brooks and see what's going on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you get in touch with him, let him know that there are others out here who can help with the testing. I guess they feel less than 20 testers is enough, but it would help testing and would only get the boxes to others a little early, as they would probably be getting the package anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I picked up my DCT5100 yesterday from Comcast on Staples Mill.

I asked if there were any instructions or specific tests they wanted me to do. The clueless customer support person said "NO, just use it". Seems strange for a "beta test".

I do not have power either ... so I can't try it out yet.

The one thing I did hear from Comcast is that if the channel is broadcasting in HDTV , then the output would go to the DVI and Component Outputs, otherwise the standard outputs would be used.

So this means that eventhough there are 2 tuners in the unit .. only one output can be used at a time.

Also, the box uses the same remote as the DCT2000 so I'm sure how you can use two boxes. Anyone else confirm this?

JohnD

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up my HD box this afternoon and it hasn't finished authorizing me for the digital channels yet. Anyone else have an estimate on how long the initial setup took? Anything special I need to do to get HBO HD, etc?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does anyone know if the beta test is still open? Sounds like it's just starting up, so I'd love to jump in if it's not too late. Who can I call? Should I contact Kirby Brooks directly? If so, what is his number? Please respond privately if you don't think you should publish his number in the public forum.

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
241 Posts
WRIC is now up and running again. Hard to believe that they are broadcasting DTV so soon after the storm. Great job to them and WTVR.

·
Registered
389 Posts
WRIC is finally back up in HD. Let me know if you folks see or hear anything funny on it. Here at the station it sounds fine but I cannot check it at home since I think my reciever is died on me. We had an issue with moisture getting into the transmitter and not letting us fire up the unit. We had to wait until the HVAC pulled enough moisture out of the transmitter room to get a green light to fire up and rebalance the tubes. Sorry for the drop off but a command decision was made to keep the analog up on generator and forego the DT until house power came back up. I take my hat off to Dale over at WTVR for getting his system back online on Sunday.

1 - 20 of 1391 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.