AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that I'm partial or biased (through truth be told, my nephew is a credited "Editor" on the new Ricky Gervais animated podcast show), but I found this new cartoon on HBO Friday nights HILARIOUS!

I mean ABSO-F'in-LUTELY HILARIOUS!

We Yanks always are amused by the British dialect, but Ricky and Stephen Merchant making fun of Karl Pilkington are just hysterical ad-libbing. And the animation version of them sitting around the recording table is perfect.

Don't miss this.

Back-to-back, the "Funny or Die" madness forms the other 1/2 hour of a truly laugh-out-loud hour of Friday night comedy.

Kudos, HBO.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I caught most of an episode last night, and I agree. It's hilarious - both the ad-libbed interplay and the Flintstonesesque animation.

Doug

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Loved it, but I'd listen to Ricky Gervais discuss his last tax audit, so I might not be the best judge.

Wish he'd do a couple more seasons of Extras.

·
Registered
496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber /forum/post/18177757

Back-to-back, the "Funny or Die" madness forms the other 1/2 hour of a truly laugh-out-loud hour of Friday night comedy.

Kudos, HBO.

Actually, The Life and Times of Tim follows The Ricky Gervais Show

There should be separate thread about each one, too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I absolutely agree. Judging by the first episode, Karl Pilkington might be the unintentionally funniest human alive.

You can watch the first episode here .

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by atyclb /forum/post/18178529

Actually, The Life and Times of Tim follows The Ricky Gervais Show

I'm not touting "The Life And Times"... I'm touting "Funny or Die", which airs its new episodes Friday night at midnight (early Saturday), just before the 12:30AM (early Saturday) repeat of the Friday night 9PM 1st-run airing of "Ricky Gervais". Because of a DVR recording conflict with Olympics and "Bill Maher" this past Friday, I had to record things later this past week.

But all three shows are repeated multiple times throughout the week, of course. Choose your recording time at will. And there's also a fourth new show, actually... "How To Make It In America" (from Mark Wahlberg's company), which I haven't watched.

Quote:
There should be separate thread about each one, too.

Probably true, if they continue as ongoing commentary. I just wanted to be sure nobody missed the debug airings this week... hence the heads-up here.

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef /forum/post/18181997

I enjoyed the first monkey in space conversation and the video along with it, freak-in hilarious.

Headphones, and a banana dispenser.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm a *huge* Ricky Gervais fan and I watched this first episode. Well, actually watched about 20 minutes of the first episode, deleted it, and deleted the series record I had set up for it. I actually think it would have been funnier if it had been *not* animated.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
This week's episode was not as funny to me. I was wondering if the novelty would wear off quickly. I'm not sure if that's happening, or just that the subject matter was not as funny this week. For example, I remember reading about the poor guy who was mutilated by the chimps while presenting his and his wife's chimp with a birthday cake. When it was joked about during the show, it just was not funny to me.

Doug

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte /forum/post/18233579

This week's episode was not as funny to me. I was wondering if the novelty would wear off quickly. I'm not sure if that's happening, or just that the subject matter was not as funny this week.

I felt the same way.

Doesn't mean I won't tune in again next week, but this week's show was definitely weaker than the debut. To be expected, I suppose... in order to make up the average.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I can't stop thinking about Karl's supposedly catchy quote, "Don't be chucking that out. You might need that later."

What a wise variation of words from this "interesting" character.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I enjoyed last Friday's episode. I can't remember the exact context, but when the animators showed "Sad" Karl sitting in his room, listening to Morissey, with a poster of The Cure over his head, I guffawed.

Doug

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
PS I've been trying to get my wife to watch, but so far she won't bite. First I mentioned the title, then she saw it was animated, and that scared her off.

PPS I always enjoy when Ricky gets completely bemused by Karl, and the animators show him grabbing his Fred Flintstone head with his tiny hands.

Doug

1 - 20 of 48 Posts