AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to know if anyone else on the board has gotten random bursts of extremely loud noise from their Revo when it was sitting idle (no music, movie, etc playing)? After the 2 (1 second in duration) blasts of noise finished, my sound output was very garbled. Rebooting fixed the problem. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've had some tweaky issues before where all of a sudden I would get a VERY loud hum and it would remain until I closed the media player and I think at some point I even had to reboot in order to fix it.

I think I ended up turning off hyperthreading, updating the BIOS, updating the onboard Soundmax driver as well as the Revo driver. Just make sure to install the updates ONE at time and to reboot. FWIW - have an Asus P4P800 Deluxe board.

I also think I disabled the onboard audio (Soundmax). Also make sure the audio out/in cables are well connected. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drkdiggler
I just wanted to know if anyone else on the board has gotten random bursts of extremely loud noise from their Revo when it was sitting idle (no music, movie, etc playing)? After the 2 (1 second in duration) blasts of noise finished, my sound output was very garbled. Rebooting fixed the problem. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.
Yup - if you're experiencing what I did, it's caused by static discharge through the coax digital out on the card. Mine would go nuts one out of ten times I put my cordless phone back on its cradle. :) They both happened to be on the same circuit. Other times it would be seemingly random, or if I touched my receiver which was connected to the card through the digital coax. I could get it to happen 100% of the time by rubbing my feet on the carpet twice and touching the coax plug on the back of the card. Is your HTPC sitting on the floor? On carpet? Is your house quite dry at the moment (winter)?

In any event, a normally grounded card (through the PCI bus) should not experience this. My Audigy2 is fine, as is the Nvidia Soundstorm on my motherboard. Yet I tried two Revos with the same problem. I ultimately RMA'd my cards to M-Audio who were very eager to get to the bottom of the issue and very supportive. I don't know if newer revisions of the card have this issue fixed.

-Doug

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you're attributing it to poor grounding and somehow static charge builds up on the card? And then I guess that the garbled output could be due to a change in the reference voltage from the floating charge?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drkdiggler
So you're attributing it to poor grounding and somehow static charge builds up on the card? And then I guess that the garbled output could be due to a change in the reference voltage from the floating charge?
Errrr...yeah! :) You put it much more eloquently. For the two cards I had, it was specifically a charge applied to the coax digital output plug.

-Doug

·
Registered
67 Posts
I get the loud static noise on my revo as well. I have a dedicated ht computer with only audio/video apps (and explorer).

In my case the noise never happens spontaneously. It only occurs when an audio application is run (like winamp), only in analog (never digital out). The noise is not really noise, but rather distortion, the output is way to high.

The way to cure the problem for me is to switch to digital, then back to analog. This seems to reset whatever problem there was with the settings.

The thing that seems to throw this thing out of wack is starting Internet Explorer. This rarely happens, but there might be something IE does that messes up the audio card settings.

The first time this happened I was wearing my headphones, what a rude blast!.

Anyway, this problem has not happened in a long while, but it is still lurking there somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.