AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.slashfilm.com/ridley-scot...e-runner-film/


Excerpt: And one has to assume Scott's experience in revisiting his classic film Alien, through the semi-prequel Prometheus, has probably left him with the confidence and good will to jump back into futuristic Los Angeles. One thing is for sure, the world of Blade Runner could look great in 3D and Scott has said he would never work without 3D again.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see I'm probably one of the few whole is intrigued by this. I saw Blade Runner for the first time last year and was not impressed... definitely a victim of it's past success and the resulting hype since. I didn't think it was necessarily bad (have to say that before FendersRule's spidey sense goes off), I was just expecting so much more. So I will definitely be interested to see what Ridley will do with it.


Of course, I would think that this hinges on the success or failure of Prometheus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/20838197


I see I'm probably one of the few whole is intrigued by this. I saw Blade Runner for the first time last year and was not impressed... definitely a victim of it's past success and the resulting hype since. I didn't think it was necessarily bad (have to say that before FendersRule's spidey sense goes off), I was just expecting so much more. So I will definitely be interested to see what Ridley will do with it.


Of course, I would think that this hinges on the success or failure of Prometheus.

That's for you.


The fact is, Blade Runner is one of the greatest Sci-Fi films ever made. There is no other film on the face of this earth that has the amount of atmosphere that Blade Runner has. Take a listen to the Vangelis album. Take a look at the behind the scenes (which is probably the most interesting and comprehensive "behind the scenes" in film history). Blade Runner isn't about action (which is what you were expecting). Blade Runner is about emotion, ideas, and concepts. It always has been.


I hated Blade Runner for the first couple viewings. After the third, I then realized why this film is a jaw dropping masterpiece. One of the greatest films ever made.


That's my spidy sense coming into play.
Not a fan of Spiderman, though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
he fact is, Blade Runner is one of the greatest Sci-Fi films ever made.

You can keep doing that, but doesn't change the actual fact that your sentiment here is not a fact, it's an opinion. One that I respect that you hold and are passionate about, perhaps you can reciprocate.


I wasn't expecting action actually, but thanks for assuming, I was just expecting something more interesting. The visuals\\settings certainly were, no doubt about that, but for me the emotion was practically non-existent, the ideas\\concepts were not that intriguing (or at least weren't presented or explored very intriguingly), and the storytelling was rather dull. It is interesting the note that the book does not have these issues. Again, I'm not saying it has no merit I am just saying that after 30 years of every rabid fan like yourself heralding this film, it fell pretty flat.


I know you and many others love this film. As you said, "that's for you". And as I said, I intend to watch it again sometime soon.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts
I don't get it....

Assuming one is a fan of BR, why the hate concerning RS doing another chapter of Blade Runner?


Passing judgement on a film RS hasn't even filmed yet?


Sequels/prequels do not NECESSARILY equate to a surprise case of the crabs.


Sheesh, get real folks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/20838448


I don't get it....

Assuming one is a fan of BR, why the hate concerning RS doing another chapter of Blade Runner?


Passing judgement on a film RS hasn't even filmed yet?


Sequels/prequels do not NECESSARILY equate to a surprise case of the crabs.


Sheesh, get real folks.

I'm willing to give the man a chance, but honestly, I don't think he's nearly as good as he was in his Alien/BR period. He seems too "hollywood" now for my taste. I'm suspicious that the project itself doesn't stem so much from a desire to tell an interesting story, but rather a desire to cash in on another "name brand", as in "let's do another warmed over sequel, and not bother with a new idea".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
This is a tough one.


I also think that Blade Runner is one of the best science fiction films ever made.


I also think that Ridley Scott, as good as he is, is probably not the best person to direct a genuine sequel, or continuation of this story in any form. His revisits over the years were more harmful to the full impact than helpful, despite the vast improvement that the excision of the narration made.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule /forum/post/20838336


That's for you.


The fact is, Blade Runner is one of the greatest Sci-Fi films ever made. There is no other film on the face of this earth that has the amount of atmosphere that Blade Runner has. Take a listen to the Vangelis album. Take a look at the behind the scenes (which is probably the most interesting and comprehensive "behind the scenes" in film history). Blade Runner isn't about action (which is what you were expecting). Blade Runner is about emotion, ideas, and concepts. It always has been.



+1


Great great film ,but of course, it is an opinion, what else could it be.


Art
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
I don't always agree with lwright, but I sympathize in his feelings for it. It's one of the greatest packages ever made (production design, special effects, costume design, film score), but there isn't much on the interior. And its many adherents cannot fail to notice that a whole lot of the up-and-coming film fans are bored stiff by it.


The original was a money-loser of mammoth proportions, and a primary investor, who put a ton of money in it when he could have made a fortune in other investments, held it hostage for decades. It might have enough fanatical devotees to support a sequel, but its leading lady is not exactly a box-office draw anymore, and Harrison? Maybe.


This could be Serenity all over again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
Blade Runner is about humanity; what actually makes someone human. The replicants become human when they become emotional. They can't deal with their emotions well when they know they aren't human. Rachael can because she has experiences to draw on.


I'd even take it further to say that Blade Runner is one of the greatest films ever made, not just in the sci-fi area.


It's a film that couldn't be made with the common-day producers of Hollywood. It's going to have to also appeal to the cookie-cutter crowd, which is extremely sad. Blade Runner is pitch-perfect in every single second of every single scene. Hollywood and its tight budget and control may lose this important aspect.


Box-office tickets are never an indication of a film's quality. Too many examples to list to bring that point home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/20838448


I don't get it....

Assuming one is a fan of BR, why the hate concerning RS doing another chapter of Blade Runner?


Passing judgement on a film RS hasn't even filmed yet?


Sequels/prequels do not NECESSARILY equate to a surprise case of the crabs.


Sheesh, get real folks.

Because this sort of thing has a horrific track record.


Art
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
It would cost a massive amount of money to make. And I daresay no CGI environment would be able to hold a candle to Trumbull's minatures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/20838617


+1


Great great film ,but of course, it is an opinion, what else could it be.


Art

It's an opinion for sure, but it's also a common opinion. If one were to read any "top sci-fi lists of all time" --No matter who made it or where it came from--Blade Runner will always be in the top 3. Many times, it's number one, surpassing all else. Even if you don't like it, it's a given that you should respect it to death. To ignore Blade Runner is to ignore one of the greatest achievements in American cinema.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
I also watched Blade Runner for the first time recently and had the same reaction as lwright84. My assumption is that I am dense and need further viewings to catch on. Hopefully that's the case; repeated viewings will tell (if I can stay awake).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/20837748


... and Scott has said he would never work without 3D again.[/i]

This alone is enough to send me screaming away from the new sequel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,712 Posts
I saw BR in the theater and was blown away. I've seen the various versions over the years and still prefer the theatrical voiceover which HF hated. I'd be up for a seq/pre. There's a ton of possible story alternatives and replicants are cool tech. As for CGI, I read where Ridley built full size sets and models for Prometheus to minimize CGI and the actors are raving about the minimal amount of green screen. I can't see why he wouldn't treat the next movie the same way.
 
1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top