AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! As I m new to any forum and really not a smart techie also, so please ignore and correct if I say something stupid
. Actually m planning to make a mobile dj setup to play in medium size outdoor parties having 200-250 (sometimes more) people but I m lot confused over selecting the right stuff, by right stuff I don't mean brands (though they make a lot of difference) but right setup in context of power and quality. What I want is-four dual 15s (500 Watt continuous, 4 ohms) speakers (here in India duals are favorites), two self powered subs. Now I want to know that if I power my 4 duals with a single amp then what should be the specs of the amp and is it a good idea as I m planning to run all in stereo mode(series/parallel wiring)? Please also suggest add-ons like EQs, Crossovers, Conditioners, DSPs, sonic maximizers etc...that I would need.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I am not a sound reinforcement expert.

You can power 4 speakers from one two channel amp. If they are 4 ohm, probably hook them up in series for 8 load, unless you are sure the amp can handle it.

Knowing nothing about the subs you plan on using, I can only guess. If the subs have no crossover, you would want some sort of crossover.

Not being a PA expert, I am confused why you would be using subwoofers and speakers with 15" drivers. Isn't that a bit of overlap? What's the standard for mid/high cabs in pro audio?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/20897834

Not being a PA expert, I am confused why you would be using subwoofers and speakers with 15" drivers. Isn't that a bit of overlap? What's the standard for mid/high cabs in pro audio?

Most PA drivers don't dig down incredibly low (to get an example, grab your favorite modeling software, and put any of the Eminence 12 or 15" drivers in, they'll usually hit f3 at around 50hz), and even if they do, you want the overlap for re-enforcement - just to get the SPL target. Having a pair of 18" subs mated to a single 2x15 cabinet is not all that uncommon depending on the size of the venue. Generally using a single 15" driver and a horn, something like the JBL Eon, will get you that "megaphone" sound unless the level is fairly low and the room is fairly small.

To the OP:

I'm not an expert on this either, but I would suggest two things:

1) Use one amplifier per one or two speakers, not one amplifier for all four; you'll get more juice into each speaker which can mean higher output.

2) Determine if you really need four speakers.

You'll probably want an active-crossover to separate the subs from the mains, Behringer makes some affordable units. I'm sure you can get nicer boxes from dbx, BBE, etc.

I'd also make sure whatever speakers you get, you get all-weather covers for, if you're going to be playing outside.

Finally, if this is a mobile application, I'd strongly consider active speakers - Mackie or JBL should be fine, you'll just drive your board/mixer's output into an active xover, and drive that into your speakers. Any EQ/effects stuff will go in between the xover and the board. No heavy amps to lug around. However, if mains power is a concern, amps may solve that (as it centralizes your power needs) - ultimately weigh your options.

I'm sure any of the pro PA/broadcast guys will probably have some more refined and specific ideas.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Sure seems like powered monitors are the choice for smaller venues these days. I have seen a number of bands and DJs use them. Usually when I see band use them, they are playing their music at reasonable volumes, so I don't know about high powered active speakers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

What do think about Behringer VP2520 Dual 15s Speakers, are they good for the money? Which Amp I should opt for these two speakers-Behringer Europower EP2000 or EP4000?

VP2520 Specs:

Professional 2000-Watt sound reinforcement speaker (500 Watts Continuous / 2000 Watts Peak Power)

Exceptional sound quality, wide frequency bandwidth and dynamic range

2 extremely powerful 15" long-excursion drivers provide incredibly deep bass and acoustic power

Proprietary 1.75" titanium-diaphragm compression driver for exceptional high-frequency reproduction

Proprietary horn design for ultra-wide sound dispersion

Overload-protection circuitry ensures optimal HF driver protection

Trapezoidal enclosure for easy array and sonic accuracy

Ergonomically shaped handle for easy transport

Rugged steel grille for optimal speaker protection

2 professional speaker connectors plus 1/4" jack connectors

High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life

EP2000 Amp Specs:

Power Rating

8 Ohms: 400W

4 Ohms: 750W

2 Ohms: 1000W

8 Ohms Bridged: 1500W

4 Ohms Bridged: 2000W

Damping Factor

> 300 @ 8 Ohms

Input Sensitivity

1.15V (+3.4dBu)

Input Impedance

10 kOhms (Unbalanced)

20 kOhms (Balanced)

Gain

32dB (40x)

Frequency Response

20Hz - 20kHz, +0/-1dB (10dB Below Rated Power)

Signal-to-Noise Ratio

-100dB, Unweighted

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)

Input Connectors

2 x XLR Inputs

2 x 1/4" Inputs

Output Connectors

2 x Speakon Outputs

2 x Touch-Proof Binding Post Outputs

Controls Front Panel

1 x Power Switch

2 x Gain Control Knobs

Controls Rear Panel

10 x Mode Selector DIP Switches

10 x Limiter/Filter DIP Switches

Indicators

1 x Power LED

2 x Clip LEDs

2 x Signal LEDs

Cooling

Continuously Variable Speed Fan

Back-to-Front Airflow

Power Consumption

1600W

Power Requirements

100-230VAC, 50/60Hz

Dimensions (HxWxD)

3.5 x 19 x 15.8" (88 x 483 x 402mm)

Weight

34.6 lbs (15.7kg)

EP4000 Amp Specs:

Power Rating

8 Ohms: 750W

4 Ohms: 1400W

2 Ohms: 2000W

8 Ohms Bridged: 2800W

4 Ohms Bridged: 4000W

Damping Factor

> 300 @ 8 Ohms

Input Sensitivity

1.23V (+4dBu)

Input Impedance

10 kOhms (Unbalanced)

20 kOhms (Balanced)

Gain

34dB (50x)

Frequency Response

20Hz - 20kHz, +0/-1dB (10dB Below Rated Power)

Signal-to-Noise Ratio

-100dB, Unweighted

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)

Input Connectors

2 x XLR Inputs

2 x 1/4" Inputs

Output Connectors

2 x Speakon Outputs

2 x Touch-Proof Binding Post Outputs

Controls Front Panel

1 x Power Switch

2 x Gain Control Knobs

Controls Rear Panel

10 x Mode Selector DIP Switches

10 x Limiter/Filter DIP Switches

Indicators

1 x Power LED

2 x Clip LEDs

2 x Signal LEDs

Cooling

Continuously Variable Speed Fan

Back-to-Front Airflow

Power Consumption

2600W

Power Requirements

100-230VAC, 50/60Hz

Dimensions (HxWxD)

3.5 x 19 x 15.8" (88 x 483 x 402mm)

Weight

36.6 lbs (16.6kg)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or the Behringer EPX 3000:

2 x 1500 Watts into 2 Ohms; 2 x 900 Watts into 4 Ohms; 3000 Watts into 4 Ohms (bridge mode)

ATR (Accelerated Transient Response) technology for ultimate punch and clarity

Ultra-light, ultra-low noise and ultra-efficient switch-mode power supply for noise-free audio, superior transient response and low power consumption

Switchable limiters offer maximum output level with reliable overload protection

Detented gain controls for precise setting and matching of sensitivity

Precise Power, Signal and Clip LEDs to monitor performance

XLR, 1/4" TRS and RCA input connectors for compatibility with any source

Professional speaker connectors and "touch-proof" binding posts support most speaker wiring systems

Built-in Subwoofer/Satellite crossover for more flexibility

Independent DC and thermal overload protection on each channel automatically protects amplifier and speakers without shutting down the show

Back-to-front ventilation system including air filter for reliable operation

"Built-like-a-tank", impact-resistant, all-steel 2U rackmount chassis

High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life

Conceived and designed by BEHRINGER Germany

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.