AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pull the trigger on an antenna purchase and was hoping for some assurance that I am making the right choices. I am in 60083 and hoping to pull in both Chicago and Milwaukee stations. The antenna will be mounted in the attic of my two story home, wood truss construction with vinyl siding, flat terrain with no major obstructions. I plan to split the signal to 3 or 4 televisions.

Wineguard HD7697P antenna

ChannelMaster 9521A rotor

Wineguard HDP269 amp

Any input is much appreciated.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My longest run is 75ft and I have seen cables of this length running from $8 to $80. Does it make sense to drop a bunch of money on cables or does it not make a big difference for my application?

· Registered
690 Posts
Any decent RG-6 type cable will work under normal conditions. Some of the cable you can get at big box stores is crap; you can tell because the foam is very soft and therefore the cable doesn't hold its shape under slight pressure.

$80 is ridiculous.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have attached my TVFOOL. Do you guys recommend the Winegard HD7696P, HD7697P, or HD7698P? Is there a down side (other than physical size and price) to going with the larger antenna?

Thanks for your help.

· Registered
501 Posts
Since the stations you want to receive are almost 180 degrees apart from each other, you're a good candidate for an antenna like the DB8 with the rear reflectors removed. (Or better yet, build your own! They're simple to make.) You lose about 3dB of gain doing that, but the antenna will receive equally well from the front and the back. This way, you won't need a rotor.

You can add a YA-1713 for the couple of VHF channels that the DB8 won't pick up. Combine the two antennas with an inexpensive UVSJ.

-- Kevin

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My initial thought was to buy two antennas and combine them to eliminate the rotor but I read that this was not a good idea. Excuse my ignorance but what you are saying is that if I remove the "chicken wire" off the back of the DB8 it will accept signals from both directions? ...from towers that are 40 miles out when the antenna is mounted in an attic? Does anyone have experience with this set-up? There are a couple companies that make DB8's plus Channelmaster makes an 8bay bow tie. Which is best? Is the amp still recommended?

Considering the cost it looks like it is worth a try. I certainly would prefer to not wait 30 seconds for the antenna to spin every time I switch from a Milwaukke station to a Chicago station. The VHF stations I need are Chicago only so I really do love this suggestion if it works.

Thanks for hanging with me on this.

· Registered
501 Posts
I missed the part in the first post where it will be mounted in an attic. You will probably have a hard time picking up the Milwaukee stations from an attic-mounted antenna. However, it's probably worth a try. If you lose too much signal going through your roof, you can always move it outside later.

I recommended the DB8 because the rear reflectors will be easier to remove than on the Channel Master 4228-HD.

It isn't a good idea to combine two UHF antennas or two VHF antennas, but combining a VHF with a UHF antenna is perfectly fine (with a UVSJ).

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I went up in my attic over the weekend and I don't know what I was thinking. There is NO WAY that I am going to spin a 10ft. antenna up there so I placed an order for the DB8 UHF antenna plus the YAGI for hi VHF. I will report back with my results.

· Registered
3,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnut24 /forum/post/16889799

I have yet to find a signal graph for the DB8 with the reflectors removed. Does anyone have a link to that information. As a guess do you think it would be 50% of the forward gain? 60%? 80%?

I would expect it to appear with the front and rear lobes are equal with a somewhat wider beam width.

Good for picking up bi-directionally - unless you have to contend with multi-path.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the DB8 plus YA-1713 mounted and wired to one TV with great success. NBC Milwaukee is the only channel that I don't get but I hope to pull that one in with a little fine tuning. I have not touched the antenna since my initial "ballpark" setup using a cheap compass and my TVFOOL printout. Milwaukee and Chicago channels are both about 40 miles out and the DB8 is picking up the Chicago's (front) at 90+ signal strength and the Milwaukee's (back) with 70+. The YA-1713 is picking the two Chicago hi-VHF's with a healthy signal strength as well.

Next will be to fine tune antenna direction, run coax throughout the house, buy and setup a central hub TIVO, and then it's BYE BYE DirecTV.

· Registered
501 Posts
Wow you didn't waste any time! I'm glad to hear it worked out so well for you. This is installed in the attic I presume? If so, great! However, the real test will be when the weather gets bad. If you still get a solid picture on all the channels that matter to you, then you're set. Otherwise, you might have to put the antennas outside.

You asked if a preamp was recommended. If you're splitting the signal to more than one TV or tuner, then yes, you will want a (high quality) preamp. This is especially true if you have the antennas mounted in the attic, where you need all the help you can get.

-- Kevin

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Wow you didn't waste any time!

Ordered parts from Solid Signal on Sunday, shipped Monday, and on my porch Tuesday. I was very impressed. The two antennas plus the UVSJ and a four way splitter came to just under $140 delivered.

The only hiccup was that I ordered an Antenna's Direct DB8 but received a Terrestrial Digital DB8. They are identical as far as I can tell and the antenna is working great so no complaints from me.

· Registered
3,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnut24 /forum/post/16924717

Ordered parts from Solid Signal on Sunday, shipped Monday, and on my porch Tuesday. I was very impressed. The two antennas plus the UVSJ and a four way splitter came to just under $140 delivered.

The only hiccup was that I ordered an Antenna's Direct DB8 but received a Terrestrial Digital DB8. They are identical as far as I can tell and the antenna is working great so no complaints from me.

FYI, "Terrestrial Digital" is Antennas Direct's brand name.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.