AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new preferred playback for my bluray 3D's is via software that has a clumsy way to switch the eye order. I can edit them to bypass this clumsiness if I know they are reversed eye. Rather than view them one at a time I am looking for a list somewhere of 3D blurays with right eye first? I found some partial lists online but nothing definitive. Found these so far via a search:

- Bait
- The Boss Baby
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Trader
- The Darkest Hour
- Dolphin Tale
- Drive Angry
- Edge of Tomorrow
- Ghostbusters (2016)
- Gulliver's Travels
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
- Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
- Journey to Space
- The Jungle Book
- Life of Pi
- Pan
- The Peanuts Movie
- Rio
- Rio 2

Please post any others if you have that info. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have not the slightest eye-dea what you talking about here.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have not the slightest eye-dea what you talking about here.
I will wing this a bit. 3D MVC bluray serves up a left and right eye frame: the left eye and the right eye view are needed for 3D. The way it works is there is a frame (left eye normally) and then a difference frame (the differences that turn the left eye frame into a right eye frame). This saves having two full frames compressed. You need a left eye and a right eye frame for stereoscopic viewing.

As stated most have the left eye as the base frame but some do not. When you play back the movie in a 3D bluray player it knows which is the base frame and adjusts accordingly. When you play back from software and the information on which is the base frame is missing or incorrect from the source file it can play back with the frames out of order and it looks bad/wrong. The quick and dirty way to fix this is to turn the glasses upside down (no really that fixes it). Most software and some display devices have a menu choice to switch the eye order. My preferred solution is to edit the missing or incorrect eye order info in the source file to fix it so it plays back with no user intervention or memory of the eye order required.

It is fairly easy to fix the flag in the file if I know it is wrong. I just need to know which movies have the right eye as the base frame so I can fix these files. I could view each movie and figure out if the setting is wrong. I am trying to find a more elegant solution via a list of movies that have the right eye as the base frame. Only people who play back via PC/software would probably be aware of this quirk. I am sure someone with better technical knowledge can fix my explanation if needed.

It is a bit of a long shot but I thought I would ask if anyone knows of a list for this.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I will wing this a bit. 3D MVC bluray serves up a left and right eye frame: the left eye and the right eye view are needed for 3D. The way it works is there is a frame (left eye normally) and then a difference frame (the differences that turn the left eye frame into a right eye frame). This saves having two full frames compressed. You need a left eye and a right eye frame for stereoscopic viewing.

As stated most have the left eye as the base frame but some do not. When you play back the movie in a 3D bluray player it knows which is the base frame and adjusts accordingly. When you play back from software and the information on which is the base frame is missing or incorrect from the source file it can play back with the frames out of order and it looks bad/wrong. The quick and dirty way to fix this is to turn the glasses upside down (no really that fixes it). Most software and some display devices have a menu choice to switch the eye order. My preferred solution is to edit the missing or incorrect eye order info in the source file to fix it so it plays back with no user intervention or memory of the eye order required.

It is fairly easy to fix the flag in the file if I know it is wrong. I just need to know which movies have the right eye as the base frame so I can fix these files. I could view each movie and figure out if the setting is wrong. I am trying to find a more elegant solution via a list of movies that have the right eye as the base frame. Only people who play back via PC/software would probably be aware of this quirk. I am sure someone with better technical knowledge can fix my explanation if needed.

It is a bit of a long shot but I thought I would ask if anyone knows of a list for this.

Thanks
Well, I have only one movie that...about 1/3 in inverts for a short time. That's Cats N Dogs. Unwatchable. But I have most of the movies on your list and have not noticed any inversions. Maybe it's something only active systems are prone to...when the synchronization gets off? All my 3D TVs are passive technology. Or it's something I am not familiar with as I never have run from a computer/software...Blu-ray only. Sorry I can be of no help.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts

Thanks
What software are you using? DVDfab already assigns the correct base view so you don't have to look them up or check after you rip. But stupidly I went with a KDLINKS A400 and iso method recently so I can have full resolution and that does not identify these right view first movies so they have to be swapped in the 3D menu, which isn't hard but a necessary step.

I am seriously considering going back to half resolution files and be done with this KDLINKS junk box. It does fine playing from internal drive but it can't play Blu ray iso's from connected storage. Gets partway then it stumbles and breaks up. So frustrating. I never really saw any difference with half resolution files anyway.

Getting back to right base view first, I have no idea who thought this was a great idea, maybe it was a security measure, not a good one anyway. Yes, the ones on your list are correct. I will be going thru my whole library again at some point, thinking about just going back to half resolution files and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts

Thanks
Here are a few others:

Epic
Kong Skull Island
Oz The Great and Powerful
Prometheus

What are you using for your 3D MVC files format? ISO? BDMV files? and more importantly what is your player? I use MKV container and have not found any way for my players to "read" the right eye first base stream and switch itself automatically.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are a few others:

Epic
Kong Skull Island
Oz The Great and Powerful
Prometheus

What are you using for your 3D MVC files format? ISO? BDMV files? and more importantly what is your player? I use MKV container and have not found any way for my players to "read" the right eye first base stream and switch itself automatically.
Interestingly those all show as left eye first already for me.

From an mkv file I use tsmuxer to mux into an iso container. It allows them to play in 2D by my Apple TV (MRMC) and other devices. I think tsmuxer has a checkbox for eye order that you can take advantage of at this time if you know it. I also found the navigation (FF/REW etc) works better for me with my Zidoo box using an iso container - but this is dated any might not be accurate anymore.

To "fix" the eye order in the iso file I just use a hex editor. I open the ISO and then using the vertical scroll bar scroll almost all the way to the bottom. Then click in the edit area and do a search for "MPLS0". If you don't manually scroll down first it can take minutes to search the file. Since I know what I want to edit is at the very end of the file I help it out. The eye order byte is in the playlist file so I assume you could edit the BDMV playlist the same way. In any event the character @ is left eye order and the character P is right eye order. I locate this just after the MPLS0 as shown in attached image (position is pretty consistent and easy to see as it stands out) and edit the byte to the correct eye order. For Boss Baby this is right eye first as shown in the image. WIth HxD it will try to save a backup when you save and I cancel that and just force it to save without a backup. It has not caused any issues and writes out just the changed byte into the file. Now when I play it back with a PC via madVR / Lav filters with 3D option it reports the correct eye order and plays accordingly without having to edit per title.

As always use caution as I can not say your hex editor or environment will behave the same. You might want to make a backup of your file before you try this the first time. I don't think this will work with an mkv as I am not sure if it has a similar flag for eye order but I have not really looked into it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Interestingly those all show as left eye first already for me.

From an mkv file I use tsmuxer to mux into an iso container. It allows them to play in 2D by my Apple TV (MRMC) and other devices. I think tsmuxer has a checkbox for eye order that you can take advantage of at this time if you know it. I also found the navigation (FF/REW etc) works better for me with my Zidoo box using an iso container - but this is dated any might not be accurate anymore.

To "fix" the eye order in the iso file I just use a hex editor. I open the ISO and then using the vertical scroll bar scroll almost all the way to the bottom. Then click in the edit area and do a search for "MPLS0". If you don't manually scroll down first it can take minutes to search the file. Since I know what I want to edit is at the very end of the file I help it out. The eye order byte is in the playlist file so I assume you could edit the BDMV playlist the same way. In any event the character @ is left eye order and the character P is right eye order. I locate this just after the MPLS0 as shown in attached image (position is pretty consistent and easy to see as it stands out) and edit the byte to the correct eye order. For Boss Baby this is right eye first as shown in the image. WIth HxD it will try to save a backup when you save and I cancel that and just force it to save without a backup. It has not caused any issues and writes out just the changed byte into the file. Now when I play it back with a PC via madVR / Lav filters with 3D option it reports the correct eye order and plays accordingly without having to edit per title.

As always use caution as I can not say your hex editor or environment will behave the same. You might want to make a backup of your file before you try this the first time. I don't think this will work with an mkv as I am not sure if it has a similar flag for eye order but I have not really looked into it.
Excellent info!... I may just have to tinker with that just for fun on 1 of my titles, but I use MKV's exclusively with the Zidoo X9s and since there are so relatively few of my 3D rips that are right eye base, it is probably not really worth the hassle of all the steps to try and "fix" them as opposed to just simply hitting menu and engaging the base stream swap. Those titles that I listed most definitely come up as Right eye base stream titles under MediaInfo for me..weird that yours do not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts