AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that by now the major anti-plasma myth's were not being spread around as much as they were in the past (at least like when it comes to reps from large compnaies speaking to mass audiences) but just that is happening right now on QVC.

The mis-informed sales lady (host) is going on and on about how the LCD Sharp 37" model they are selling looks much better than plasma (that's her opinion, that's cool)....

but she's also stating that the Sharp LCD which they are featuring will last "much, much longer than any plasma", won't suffer the burn-in (true) but the false part "cause we all know that plasmas can burn-in in no time at all" .

Of course the Sharp rep is agreeing and even repeated those "facts" -against plasma.

Unless Panasonic is lieng their plasma's have a really impressive life cycle (will perform at 1/2 or more brightness level as new for like 20+ years if used 6 hours per day -or something similar, I don't have the exact numbers -but it's surely not "short" as they are implying on QVC tonight!

I guess these myth's will go on for as long as retailers push LCD's. I bought a flat-panel in Nov. & even though I was set on a particular non-LCD model -the sales people at three local large retail stores all suggested that I look at LCD 1st and then when I declined they pushed DLP, finally I had to get them to show me where the plasma set was located, the one I was really interested in buying, funny huh?

And of course two of the store's sales people laid the plasma vs. LCD myth's on me ..... I brought up counter-facts which I had obtained thru this and other sites & they stopped the LCD push.......

· Registered
2,226 Posts
for someone who's joined a few months ago you sound like a died in the wool plasma fan!

you do know there are lcd fans in this forum as well don'y you? so maybe there are people in stores who also feel that plasma isn't the answer to everyone's needs.

did you say anything that would make it sound like lcd is better for you? that would have been the catalyst that he was acting upon.

and c'mon it's qvc. they are selling a product. i guarantee you if it were a plasma they would have gone above and beyond to tout it's bells and whistles and not care one whit about exaggerations.

· Registered
3,315 Posts
It goes both ways in the sales arena.

Treat it like those wireless carriers commercials where the lady says 'It's a buyers market' then says 'It's a sellers market, baby'.

· Registered
735 Posts
Plasma (like a CRT) have one issue LCDs do not. Plasmas emit light (LCDs shutter the light from light bulbs). Anything that emits light, will emit less light over time. If an image is set on a plasma (or CRT) those dots that are emiting will get dimmer than those that aren't on. Plasmas have been fixing the problem by 1) putting in more gas, 2) putting it on higher pressure and 3) move the image around (secretly and without you knowing it).

It really does take quite a bit to ruin them now. However, they still weigh more, burn more electricity and have less dots than the LCD. On the bright side, they have a softer image that some think is less harsh.

However, their contrast ratio numberes is a crock of crud, but that a different subject.

DB

· Registered
3,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLASS /forum/post/0

Plasma (like a CRT) have one issue LCDs do not. Plasmas emit light (LCDs shutter the light from light bulbs). Anything that emits light, will emit less light over time. If an image is set on a plasma (or CRT) those dots that are emiting will get dimmer than those that aren't on. Plasmas have been fixing the problem by 1) putting in more gas, 2) putting it on higher pressure and 3) move the image around (secretly and without you knowing it).

It really does take quite a bit to ruin them now. However, they still weigh more, burn more electricity and have less dots than the LCD. On the bright side, they have a softer image that some think is less harsh.

However, their contrast ratio numberes is a crock of crud, but that a different subject.

DB

LOL....

Please get a clue about your FP info. Your plasma facts are a joke.

LCD's have a backlight that...,gasp, emits light!

· Super Moderator
22,005 Posts
there is a sticky entitled

LCD or Plasma? Plasma or LCD? and why those Black Bars? Discuss it here only Please

please post there

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.