AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High, I just found a pair of old Pioneer Project 100 2-way speakers and a kenwood steareo amp (k-70)

I hooked them up to a dvd player and watched "The Rookie" (not a loud movie)

I noticed the right speaker buzzed on mid to high, medium to loud tones.

It buzzed especially when sounds had a quick attack, like in sharp dialogue

The woofer on the right speaker has a large section of mesh ripped out of the inner part of the cone. (the flat circular part). But the buzzing only occurs on higher notes, so it is puzzling.

Also, on both speakers the yellow hemisphere that covers the tweeters is dented.

Here's the project 100: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=165681

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Jay,

A few questions:

1) My dust cap measures 3.75 inch diameter.

Will the 4 inch one work?

2) On my speakers, the dust caps are concave (i.e they arc into the speaker)

Seems like the dust caps on most pictures I see are installed in the convex position (pointing toward the listeners)

Is there a difference in sound? Which direction should I install the new dust cap in?

3) The site you linked mentioned using "speaker glue" to install the dust caps. Will rubber cement work?

4) How should I remove the old dust cap?

Thanks

p.s. I was unable to get dents out of the the tweeter domes with scotch or duct tape, any other ideas?

Also, all the surface screws surrounding the cone on the woofers and the dome on the tweeters are tight; are these the screws you were referring to?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailimexam
Thank you Jay,

A few questions:

1) My dust cap measures 3.75 inch diameter.

Will the 4 inch one work?

2) On my speakers, the dust caps are concave (i.e they arc into the speaker)

Seems like the dust caps on most pictures I see are installed in the convex position (pointing toward the listeners)

Is there a difference in sound? Which direction should I install the new dust cap in?

3) The site you linked mentioned using "speaker glue" to install the dust caps. Will rubber cement work?

4) How should I remove the old dust cap?

Thanks

p.s. I was unable to get dents out of the the tweeter domes with scotch or duct tape, any other ideas?

Also, all the surface screws surrounding the cone on the woofers and the dome on the tweeters are tight; are these the screws you were referring to?
1) Even though it wont be perfect the 4" ones will be close enough for these speakers

2) See if you can flip the new dust cap over and see how it fits. Putting it in cocave will alter the drivers response. But again, for these speakers it shouldn't be a huge difference.

3) Sure, just dont glob a bunch of whatever adhesive you use on.

4) With an X-acto knife, very carefully try to cut in-between the cone and dustcap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.